Short break in Dublin.

Never been myself, but given some of the very positive posts on here and a few personal recommendations from friends, I think it may be a must see for my wife and I soon.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dublin is a fabulous city. We stayed in Clontarf outside the city on the coast and got the bus in. We wanted to stay in Dalkey and get the DART but I think there was only one or two hotels and they were booked up. Lovely place to stay away from the hustle. Like any city if you stay around the tourist bits (Temple Bar) you'll pay a premium. If you head over the river and go round some of the streets there you'll find some of the best pubs that are not marketed as Irish pubs. We had a great afternoon drinking Guinness in Frank Ryans bar, a hidden gem

frankryan.jpg

Galway is nice but much smaller. Tigh Colli pub has music on every day and is one of my favourite bars. If you get to Galway you get the benefit of being on the doorstep of one of my favourite places in the world, Connemara. Wonderful scenery, towns and villages but you need more than a weekend to get out there.

6243186.jpg

Lived and worked in Dublin for a few years, pre recession!
The places listed on here are all great, I would add my personal fave The Hapenny Bridge inn, dunno why i like the gaff, but thats where I did most of my drinking .

Would also recommend a DART north up the coast to Malahide, lovely marina side village, with a great pub GIBNEYS.

If you are coming over to Dublin let me know. I will advise you on were to stay and good cheap local aka free things to do that would be around the hotel your staying.
City Centre is always pricey. Temple Bar is full of tourists so gets more expensive. I would say Smithfield and a trip to Jameson is a must to do i think for 30 euro you can do a Whiskey tasting where you will taste 4 premium whiskeys which is good value if your a whiskey drinker.
Go to the Gravediggers pub its a lovely spot and chilled out bar. IF there its a short walk to the Bontaic Gardens for the Mrs to have a look at all the flowers in it and you can then get into the back of Glasnevin cementary which has the graves of the Collins and so on.
For a different view of the City pop up to Croke Park while there its a 5 to 10 minute taxi drive. Up there the tours on offer are amazing 20 euro each to do the Skyline tour where you will basically walk around the roof top of the stadium and will learn all the history of the staduim with the best views of the City you will need a head of heights. Or if you aint into the heights then the stadium tour is worth a vist at 14 euro each with you getting to go into the Museum in there too for free. I think the museum with every tour is free if my memory is right.
If the weather is good Dublin Bay Cruises is well worth a look your out on a boat looking at Dublin from the sea view. Its stunning it will bring you up to Dun Laoighaire and then around to Howth Harbour which is my favourite spot so chilled out and included in the price is a return dart ticket to the city centre well worth a look.
All the museums are free. The Hugh Lane Gallery on Parnell Square is well worth a look. Kilmanhaim too has the modern art museum and the grounds there are well worth a walk around.
Eating in and around town. Dame street has you sorted some really nice cheap eats were your going to get proper food. I like Crackbird a chicken place on it . Bobos a burger bar and Smokin Bones a BBQ place on it and on Georges streeet beside it they have another BBQ place called Pitt Bros where if you buy the food in there at the end of it you get to pull your own ice cream if your still hungry well worth it just to see some of the people trying to use it.

Had my first pint of Guiness in Ireland in Bray....DART from Dublin. Barman poured half of it then fucked off.....I was thinking "this **** is taking the piss". I asked where he'd gone and (shaking his head) Said .....It has to settle then I finish it off

Do they still beg on the bridges? Don't give them a penny...dropped off in the morning in flashy 4x4's

Was also bollocked for trying to tip a barman........he said it was an insult to his profession

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.