short corners to time waste - is it only me?

At last we are learning how to see a game out when we have our noses in front. Not pretty but effective.

I'm all for the short corners when we're running the clock down, but the short corners we try with 20 minutes on the clock are fucking awful...Not that our corner delivery into the box is much better either.

fallowfieldflyer said:
Sometimes you have to win a game ugly.What would have you said if we would have drawn or got beat.

Hughes out ;)

Only kidding... i'm not in that camp (yet) but we need to have more strong performances like this and Newcastle is he is to be in charge next season (which I hope he will be as we need to get some continuity into the management after years of chop and change).

svennis pennis said:
Yeh how stupid. 2 minutes to go. We should be smashing it into the box for the two short arses to lose and allow Boro to build up another attack.

Sort it out Hughes. Look at Arsenal away at Villa as your example. Keep bombing forward with a one goal lead and concede with the last kick.

I swear people will find anything to complain about whatever the result.

that isn't the alternative, but if you literally stand on the ball in the corner flag it's only a second or two once you're challenged that the ball goes out of play again (sometimes to the opposition) or can break - it doesn't maintain possession.

short corners taken with some common sense & not banged into the box, which I agree might not be our best option especially when we're sitting on the single goal lead with minutes to go, could be played around a bit, even if the ball ultimately has to go all the way back to our keeper. That is possession football.

if you watch the times players try and dick around with it at the corner flag it doesn't guarantee you anything, and once you've lost possession the other team can often get it up upfield quickly, and you've at least two players who aren't going to contribute anything in getting back to defending. Losing the ball, wherever you lose it, is a bad idea.

wouldn't it be better to knock it around and keep possession, than toss a coin near the corner flag (you don't gain anything when the first challenge comes in if it's off your own player into touch you actually lose the ball) because you're that inept you cannot string a few passes together?

I think the whole tactic is questionable, apart from looking like a bunch of pussies; there are classier ways to play the ball about than the stupidities we're seeing - but it would seem I'm almost on my own in thinking like this.

MCFCinUSA said:
I really find it really hard to respect sides who take short corners & try to waste time in the final few minutes standing on it near the corner flag; we started doing it under Pearce in recent years and it really disappoints me.

Surely there are better ways to play possession football, aside from the fact I've seen teams lose the ball employing this sort of tactic and the repossessing team has been fast on the break and can knock it out quickly despite starting off so deep.

The whole thing just seems gutless to me, aside from achieving very little - other than a blatant attempt to waste time that doesn't appear too convicing (at working).

Am I alone in thinking this way, or do people believe this is the way to defend a lead in the final minute(s)?
agree fully during the game, get the friggin ball throw in ffs.
when 1-0 up late on though you have to wind the clock down.

MCFCinUSA said:
I really find it really hard to respect sides who take short corners & try to waste time in the final few minutes standing on it near the corner flag; we started doing it under Pearce in recent years and it really disappoints me.

Surely there are better ways to play possession football, aside from the fact I've seen teams lose the ball employing this sort of tactic and the repossessing team has been fast on the break and can knock it out quickly despite starting off so deep.

The whole thing just seems gutless to me, aside from achieving very little - other than a blatant attempt to waste time that doesn't appear too convicing (at working).

Am I alone in thinking this way, or do people believe this is the way to defend a lead in the final minute(s)?

It's called being Professional, something that has been lacking for a long time. Three points won against Borough as well as the Barcodes. When you are in the final minute or so of a match and you are winning you don't need to score again.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
MCFCinUSA said:

It's called being Professional, something that has been lacking for a long time. Three points won against Borough as well as the Barcodes. When you are in the final minute or so of a match and you are winning you don't need to score again.

I've seen plenty of good teams managed by men who didn't advocate their teams play like pussies. 'Professionalism' wouldn't be the word I'd use.

Professionals would be able to play possession football, not dick around for a few seconds at the corner flag. This tactic doesn't work in my opinion, apart from being quite pathetic.

I respect those who disagree with me, but don't expect me to go along with the arguments for it; I don't believe there are any.

Greiver said:
Call it what you want we kept the ball, ran down the clock, and won. Why complain?

if you read the thread I don't believe the 'tactic' works; keeping the ball by intelligently passing it around does.

arsing around at the corner flag usually only results in the ball going out of play, sometimes to the opposition, and may gain literally the seconds it takes before the first challenge goes in. It's a crapshoot. Losing the ball either by the flag or anywhere else on the pitch (although it's more dangerous to do it in your own six yard box, obviously) isn't a good idea when you're defending a lead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.