Should Airlines be Able To Weigh Passengers

In your “bag over the limit” example, the bag being weighed is going under the aircraft in the bulk cargo compartment. THOSE bags are weighed, because the density of materials carried in the cargo holds varies immensely.

Baggage going INSIDE THE CABIN is not weighed and considered part of the “average weight of the passengers” calculation. Fat, thin, heavy, light INSIDE the aircraft averages out. In the fuel tanks and cargo hold, where you are carrying hundreds of thousands of pounds of weight, it’s slightly more important, because as fuel burns off, the weight distribution changes.

300 pax & bags is about 60,000lbs that stays relatively still. 100,000lbs of fuel burned doesn’t. Throw in the heavy cargo in the multiple cargo compartments, with each box/bag being different weights/densities, and that weight distribution is slightly more important.

For every 300lber & bag there’s probably a kid or a 100lber…all becomes a relative wash.
Thank you, I think?

Yes it's not fun when you've got a big fat bastard squashing you in. One sod from Leeds sat next to me was so fat he couldn't put his drinks tray down as his belly was too big. They should have to book two seats.

You could just refer to him as an oversized person but why be nice when it’s better to refer to him as a big fat bastard. At least its an improvement on ”fat ****” so well done you.

No he was a big fat obnoxious bastard, as were his mates, who was sat in my window seat when I got on and didn't want to move until I made him. He wanted me to sit in the middle seat. Their three equally obnoxious women sat behind me threw me daggers and spent a lot of the flight "accidently" banging my seat for the cheek of me wanting to sit in a seat I'd paid for and booked. Oh and I also let the prick use my table to put his drinks on ( they were drinking their own vodka) as his fat gut wouldn't allow his drinks table to go down. So in reflection you were right I was too kind, he was a fat ****. Now personally I couldn't care less what anybody looks like or how fat they are, it's their body and life. It does however become a problem when they're squeezed next to you in a very small space for hours at a time and that needs addressing by the travel companies. They could of course allow more room but as they're profit driven it's never going to happen.

Last edited:
It should be a max weight/size then you have to buy 2 seats and in some instances 3

No problem ,assuming they weigh everyone it would give the pilot a total weight for his aircraft

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.