Should ex pro's be encouraged to be Refs?

stony said:
I think it's a bad idea and a bit disrespectful to the current bunch of refs. Not like they deserve any respect, but just because you've played professionally wouldn't automatically make you a good ref. The refs in the prem have got years of experience at every level of the game. If an ex-pro wants to put in that level of commitment and progress naturally through the leagues then fine. Putting one in charge of a Prem game without the benefit of years of experience would be madness.
Can you imagine Gary fucking Neville refereeing a City game.There would be a pitch invasion the first time he got a decision wrong.

There is pro & cons. But Thats the Biggest CON!

Havin' achieved the dizzyin' 'eights of Class Three in the '60s I am pretty much the usual expert on matters regarding refereeing!

Knowledge of, and immersion within, the game, particularly paid employment as a professional footballer, is, IMHO, insufficient to deliver a quality product.

There are two or three things which make a good referee, and from what I have seen over the last few seasons few refs come close.

First, a complete understanding of the Laws of the Game. This is the easy bit.

Secondly, the courage to implement those laws based on what you have seen.

Thirdly, basic honesty when asked a simple question - 'Did you see X? - when the video highlights something you missed. Too many refs are bothered about the next appointment and whether their name is in the frame for a final.

I think the quality of refereeing would be improved immensely if refs were wired up like they have in American football and Rugby. You hear what the ref is saying by way of explanation and, delight of delights, you would hear what some of the players are saying!

Unfortunately, the people in charge of the refs and the people administering the PL and those at the FArce are too politically motivated ever to consider the good of the game.

Yes, players who have played in the lower divisions, therefore not millionaires, should be fast-tracked through. They already know the game inside out, I have had Tony Philliskirk _ex Bolton, Bury etc) reffing games I've played in and he's been by far the best referee I've ever had AND he gets a lot of respect from the players because they know he knows the game.

I think ex pro,s being refs is a great idea..as long as they wear all the gear !!
The stillies could be a problem though. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.