Should I be concerned....

Dr Jacoby

.. that it's extremely difficult for me to be interested in other people?

After making the realisation that I needed to make some big changes to how I viewed other people, I am now getting out of my comfort zone - my mother's house - for prolonged periods each day. However, I feel almost like I have to 'perform' and 'act' to battle through social situations. People's faces seem to light up when I invite them to talk about themselves but deep down I truly don't give a shit. Does this make me a bad person?

Even though I want to make friends, I cannot fathom how others can find each other so interesting. I fear I will never hold down a job for any substantial amount of time because of my social ineptness

After making the realisation that I needed to make some big changes to how I viewed other people, I am now getting out of my comfort zone - my mother's house - for prolonged periods each day. However, I feel almost like I have to 'perform' and 'act' to battle through social situations. People's faces seem to light up when I invite them to talk about themselves but deep down I truly don't give a shit. Does this make me a bad person?

Even though I want to make friends, I cannot fathom how others can find each other so interesting. I fear I will never hold down a job for any substantial amount of time because of my social ineptness

Come to a blue moon meet up and we will tell you?

Well you're the Doctor right, I was gonna ask you Jacob.

Get on that fucking ladder and let us miserable humanoids chew your ear off.
Just nod along and smile.

Seriously though, I work on the doors and guaranteed most nights I'll have people coked/pissed up nattering away in my face, presuming I have a care in the world for their lives.

That's how it is.

Active listening is a beautiful thing though bud, and one in which I do practice often and purposely make effort in doing when communicating with my loved ones such as my Mother and the Mrs.

Active listening.
YouTube it pal and watch some. Guides on it. May help you.

Does your mother live here

dc3992a833de325489ee32ddffb408c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes you think I care?

To be honest I am the same.
Very few people are in my zone of interest. Don't know why, just the way I am.

Didn't realise Theresa May was a bluemooner!

This starts to happen when you hit your thirties. You've heard it all before and it gets more and more difficult to feign interest until you just think fuck 'em!

I see all the old boys 3 or 4 times a year for an afternoon session. All good lads but that's enough.

I'd rather go for a walk in the fells with the wife and kids than force conversation with people I don't have much in common with anymore.

I blame shite like Facebook. It has deluded so many people into thinking that others are interested in every facet of their lives just because they have a platform to tell hundreds of people what they had for breakfast. In reality I don't see how or why anyone would be genuinely interested in the lives of more than a handful of close friends and family. In short, it's normal, don't worry about it.

I can't be bothered with getting to know new people now,i have become a loner
It's probably the way you are wired but if you feel depressed go and see your doctor

I have stated before that I was formally diagnosed with autism two years ago.

Whilst I don't want to be a misanthropist or a creepy loner my entire life, it is incredibly difficult for me to understand people's actions, motives and emotions. Furthermore, being around other people is extremely enervating for me. My sensory irregularities (I am sensitive to sound) deeply affects my concentration span, especially in situations where I am expected to engage with those around me.

If it means I have to be disingenuous to be accepted and appreciated by others, I am not sure I want anything out of life anymore. It seems almost like the more inauthentic and insincere you are in this world, the more 'rewards' you reap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.