Should kids be taught religion in schools

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
should kids be taught religion in schools ? still happens here, but is it right to teach kids that this person called Jesus did supernatural things like walking on water ?

fishing.jpg

nimrod said:
should kids be taught religion in schools ? still happens here, but is it right to teach kids that this person called Jesus did supernatural things like walking on water ?

Absolutely. Religion is a massive part of our culture, and people who don't study it are the worse of for it.

Damocles said:
nimrod said:

Absolutely. Religion is a massive part of our culture, and people who don't study it are the worse of for it.

I never studied it so how am I the worse for it ?

it shouldn't be rammed down there throats from a young age, kids should be left to gain there own thoughts on it, when i was at primary school (c of e) we had a uber religious headmaster who was really into god and jesus and we got nothing but that in assembly's and lessons so as you can imagine after 6-7 years of it we got sick of it. if kids later on in school want to study it then fair play let them choose it as one of there options.

Is it wrong to teach kids that a religion is true? Yes. Obviously.

Is it wrong to teach kids about all the religions (past aswell as present) of the world? No. Religion has had a profound effect on history so really if you were to leave school without any knowledge of these religions you can't be said to have been educated.

A nice by-product, from my perspective, would be that the number of religious people would go down. There's nothing like reading your own Holy book to hasten your exit from your religion. To also read the scripture of other people's religion can only help speed up that process...

nimrod said:
Damocles said:

I never studied it so how am I the worse for it ?

Because you potentially lose the ability to understand and empathise with a large part of the world's mindset?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.