Sky Sports 3 year deal with GAA

There was other sports open to Croke Park over the years it has hosted College Football American Football and also had a Ali fight in the stadium as well. So it was always opened to other sports at times over the years as 1 offs.

leighton said:
There was other sports open to Croke Park over the years it has hosted College Football American Football and also had a Ali fight in the stadium as well. So it was always opened to other sports at times over the years as 1 offs.

L, other sports may have been allowed in the past, but "garrison games" were banned from all GAA grounds for a long time, likewise people were banned from playing "non gaelic games" for years.
Te GAA rightly deserve plaudits for moving in the right direction, but while they allow clubs to name their grounds after murderers and to have kids completions in "honour" of murderers they will always have a problem to be perceived as a sporting organisation.
Happy to meet and discuss these points in Clontarf when Ireland play Sri Lanka.

law74 said:
leighton said:

L, other sports may have been allowed in the past, but "garrison games" were banned from all GAA grounds for a long time, likewise people were banned from playing "non gaelic games" for years.
Te GAA rightly deserve plaudits for moving in the right direction, but while they allow clubs to name their grounds after murderers and to have kids completions in "honour" of murderers they will always have a problem to be perceived as a sporting organisation.

Law dont be daft you will have your views. GAA have members and they put it to the members on rule changes the lot. So the game only moves on when the members of the county boards say so. Yes some rules were stupid but in the end they sorted it.

The GAA put huge amounts of money back into the grass roots year after year. They put back in up to 80 % of the money earned every year back into the running of the sport at grass roots. Name me another sport or governing body around the world that do that??? I hand on hearth cant name that at all. Naming stadiums after murderers really??? Some of the stadiums are named after many Irish repubican figures from way way back when Ireland were trying to get all 32 counties from british rule but thats another thing. I dont think we will agree on everything about this. I take the stance of what happens in the past stays in the past. Obliviously you have been affected by the trobles up there more than we have but its a negative stance to have against something positive and theres no links to the GAA and IRA at all. But each to there own lawman also any day you want whens the cricket game?

A point to note, the 'Bloody Sunday' referred to in previous posts is the 1920 Bloody Sunday, not the 1972 Bogside massacre, also referred to as Bloody Sunday.

Questions have been asked about Gaelic games being insular. There have been international cross code matches of Gaelic Football vs Aussie Rules and Hurling vs Shinty matches.

You will notice on the video posted that when the vote to allow other sports at Croke Park was being taken one of the GAA members mentions that non-GAA sports are 'the competition'. In my time living in Ireland I found this most intriguing. Hardened GAA men were quite often of the opinion that they were competing with non-GAA sports for young talent to develop. There were archaic rules about having to play for your parish team, even if you wanted to be on the same team as your mates who lived over the border in the next parish. Players were snubbed for playing soccer (as it's called in Ireland) and not allowed into GAA teams if they did so. To me, and many other people that enjoy most sports they didn't grip the concept that they weren't facing a battle with youngsters playing foreign sports, they were in fact facing a battle with youngsters that were not interested in playing sport full stop. It wouldn't sink in that in wet and windy Ireland kids wanted to stay indoors in front of computer games rather than run around in a muddy field.

There was me thinking that the best idea was to give kids the opportunity to play all sports and let them choose one that they enjoy. People choose which sport to play for different reasons, there would be plenty that would have wanted to go back to Gaelic Football from soccer because they would never make it as a professional in England and would rather play Gaelic and represent their county than play Irish league soccer.
Does the same mentality exist or has the GAA evolved a little bit more in the last 10 years?

leighton said:
law74 said:
leighton said:

Law dont be daft you will have your views. GAA have members and they put it to the members on rule changes the lot. So the game only moves on when the members of the county boards say so. Yes some rules were stupid but in the end they sorted it.

The GAA put huge amounts of money back into the grass roots year after year. They put back in up to 80 % of the money earned every year back into the running of the sport at grass roots. Name me another sport or governing body around the world that do that??? I hand on hearth cant name that at all. Naming stadiums after murderers really??? Some of the stadiums are named after many Irish repubican figures from way way back when Ireland were trying to get all 32 counties from british rule but thats another thing. I dont think we will agree on everything about this. I take the stance of what happens in the past stays in the past. Obliviously you have been affected by the trobles up there more than we have but its a negative stance to have against something positive and theres no links to the GAA and IRA at all. But each to there own lawman also any day you want whens the cricket game?

I agree that the GAA are superb at getting all those they are interested in involved in local areas, though the re-naming of Dungiven Hurling club after a person jailed for theft of guns and taking part in punishment beatings and the Galbally club giving children medals in "honour" of a terrorist Martin McGaughey (in 2012 so not that long ago), will taint the opinion of the entire organisation for a large section of the community up here.
the cricket is on the 6th and 8th of May, quite a busy week, game on the Saturday, game on the Monday, down to Dublin to watch on teh Tuesday and Thursday, game on the Saturday and over for the Hammers game on the Sunday.....

Carver said:
A point to note, the 'Bloody Sunday' referred to in previous posts is the 1920 Bloody Sunday, not the 1972 Bogside massacre, also referred to as Bloody Sunday.

Questions have been asked about Gaelic games being insular. There have been international cross code matches of Gaelic Football vs Aussie Rules and Hurling vs Shinty matches.

You will notice on the video posted that when the vote to allow other sports at Croke Park was being taken one of the GAA members mentions that non-GAA sports are 'the competition'. In my time living in Ireland I found this most intriguing. Hardened GAA men were quite often of the opinion that they were competing with non-GAA sports for young talent to develop. There were archaic rules about having to play for your parish team, even if you wanted to be on the same team as your mates who lived over the border in the next parish. Players were snubbed for playing soccer (as it's called in Ireland) and not allowed into GAA teams if they did so. To me, and many other people that enjoy most sports they didn't grip the concept that they weren't facing a battle with youngsters playing foreign sports, they were in fact facing a battle with youngsters that were not interested in playing sport full stop. It wouldn't sink in that in wet and windy Ireland kids wanted to stay indoors in front of computer games rather than run around in a muddy field.

There was me thinking that the best idea was to give kids the opportunity to play all sports and let them choose one that they enjoy. People choose which sport to play for different reasons, there would be plenty that would have wanted to go back to Gaelic Football from soccer because they would never make it as a professional in England and would rather play Gaelic and represent their county than play Irish league soccer.
Does the same mentality exist or has the GAA evolved a little bit more in the last 10 years?

It is still there to a degree,a lot depends on the chairmen of the respective codes.
When my son was growing up 10 of the soccer team also played Gaelic football
and 6 of them played hurling so the potential for clashes was huge,the chairmen worked together to avoid them and all was good.Now there are different guys running both who don't get on and the kids are being forced to choose which games they play.It has been terrible for the soccer club as GAA is huge in our town.There are still people who call soccer a barrack-room sport at the games and we are known as a 'soccer family' in the town.
The GAA does some brilliant things but pettiness from it's officials is nothing new.

The Pope said:
Just looks too weird for me, a cross between football, golf, rugby and baseball !
And for that reason I'm oot!

Nope.
It's the most skilful sport I've ever played, the fastest field sport and difficult game to play. A lot of players who've gone on to do well in other sports today started off playing GAA. They've moved on to AFL, football and rugby. It improves hand eye coordination and physical conditioning tremendously.
For my money it's the best sport out there. It's more physical and more skilful than football. These guys are all heart, skill and physicality dominate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbGYbl608g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1UvTUVDvb8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAlMNg2JN7c[/youtube]

Just a taster. ;)

The thing that doesnt help the sports competing for the kids is the subs fee. In our locals team up in Ballymun we have the GAA teams subs at 5 euro while the soccer team on the Sunday looks for 3 times that at 15 euro. There a joke at doing that. So in difficult times most families might ask a kid to make 1 choice of what sport they play in the future. Its crazy the refs in football each game there paying near to 80 euro for the refs in football. While for the GAA they get young refs from the clubs to ref the games for a fraction of that 80 euro. Most soccer teams add in the fees for the ref each week.

I know the clubs around Ballymun work well together. The GAA club have a huge all weather pitch that they rent out to the other clubs in the area. Its the biggest all weather pitch I have seen up beside the airport lovely. So all the clubs within the area that want to use it can use it when the club isnt using it. The thing is if the clubs of any sport are not interested in doing things for the kids then they will lose them. I know with the Easter holidays coming up that the GAA team has a training camp on for the kids think its €40 for a week and they take the kids from 9 to 2 for the week which isnt too bad. I havnt heard of any of the other teams in the area doing that. So they are getting the kids in time and time again at these camps.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.