Sneaky barstewards - Cypriot banking crisis

we've got enough problems of our own

why the hell would we bail out the Irish or any other foreign nation?

paphos-mcfc said:
Biggest problem here Is small time developers borrowing money to build complexes, shops and offices to rent out, then nobody renting or buying it. They go bust and the bank then take on this debt. If they didn't borrow out too much money in the first place, we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Do us a favour and get all of this sorted by May will you mate? I'm due there on the 18th for eleven nights of fun!!

Re: Cyprus government steals from bank accounts

intheknow! said:
From the papers:

Angela Merkel has insisted it was right that all depositors in Cypriot banks should share the responsibility of bailing out the state. At an election rally, in Germany, the Chancellor said: “Anyone having their money in Cypriot banks must contribute in the Cypriot bailout. That way those responsible will contribute in it, not only the taxpayers of other countries, and that is what’s right.”

I don't see anything wrong with that. If you have savings you cannot be classed as poor, so should contribute something. This 'solidarity levy' seems fair.

Me too - why should the Germans have to bail everyone out all the time? If our economy was performing well and we were constantly bailing other nations out who had mismanged their economies I would be hacked off as well

You have to have some sympathy for many Cypriots. Many Cypriots lost land and property in 1974, and had to rebuild their lives. Some of them would have not long ago paid off their mortgages and had a bit of money put away. Now the Government have, to all intents and purposes, stolen a significant amount of it.

Manc in London said:
You have to have some sympathy for many Cypriots. Many Cypriots lost land and property in 1974, and had to rebuild their lives. Some of them would have not long ago paid off their mortgages and had a bit of money put away. Now the Government have, to all intents and purposes, stolen a significant amount of it.

Father-in-law, Mother-in-law are refugees and so is the missus. They lost a lot. Houses, farmland and a restaurant.

Blumers Bloomers said:
intheknow! said:
From the papers:

Angela Merkel has insisted it was right that all depositors in Cypriot banks should share the responsibility of bailing out the state. At an election rally, in Germany, the Chancellor said: “Anyone having their money in Cypriot banks must contribute in the Cypriot bailout. That way those responsible will contribute in it, not only the taxpayers of other countries, and that is what’s right.”

I don't see anything wrong with that. If you have savings you cannot be classed as poor, so should contribute something. This 'solidarity levy' seems fair.

Me too - why should the Germans have to bail everyone out all the time? If our economy was performing well and we were constantly bailing other nations out who had mismanged their economies I would be hacked off as well

It has not been all one way traffic though, these mismanaged and poorer economies have kept the value of the Euro lower which has benefited German exports. Had the Euro not included the PIIGS selling BMW's, Porsche's, Audi's and Kärchers to wash them with would have been much more difficult.

If the Europeans are serious about sorting out the Euro the best way to achieve it is for Germany to leave and return to the Deutschmark, it is successful Germany that is the odd one out in the Euro club.

paphos-mcfc said:
Manc in London said:

Father-in-law, Mother-in-law are refugees and so is the missus. They lost a lot. Houses, farmland and a restaurant.

My in-laws too. They had to flee Kyrenia in 1974. They had a lot of land overlooking the sea. It would be worth a fortune.

They rebuilt their lives in Strovolos, Lefkosia. One aunt has done so well she is buying the missus and me a holiday home in Protaros. Although thay may be delayed to what has happened. Who would dare accept an offer on a property when they think the Government may swipe it as it sits in an account.<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 pm --<br /><br />
adrian99 said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
intheknow! said:
From the papers:

It has not been all one way traffic though, these mismanaged and poorer economies have kept the value of the Euro lower which has benefited German exports. Had the Euro not included the PIIGS selling BMW's, Porsche's, Audi's and Kärchers to wash them with would have been much more difficult.

If the Europeans are serious about sorting out the Euro the best way to achieve it is for Germany to leave and return to the Deutschmark, it is successful Germany that is the odd one out in the Euro club.

Couldn't have put it better myself. The German are reaping what they have sown.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Uh oh the ruskies are sniffing around now. Hello Cyprus we would like all your gas please
And the Chinese. They've been sniffing for just as long!

I know lots of people too who lost land too in 1974 but that was a lifetime ago and many have rebuilt their lives and done very well from it. It has nothing to bear on this situation... Many of those people you refer to have benefitted from easy gov. jobs, profits from lucrative tourism and have lived on a credit card and loans for years to keep up with the stavros's.

It's not the EUs responsibility (e.g. Germany's or ours) responsibility to give the cypriot cash to fix their problem - the citizens of the country should take the first steps and dip into their own pockets rather than others from Europe to bail out their own banks and struggling economy.

Maybe the Cypriots should have thought twice about trying to help bail out Greece and squander their reserves for them!

adrian99 said:
Blumers Bloomers said:
intheknow! said:
From the papers:

Anybody would think they planned it that way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.