So who are REALLY ruining English Football

The Pink Panther said:
ORodney said:
And man - you should have been an England fan thru the seventies to really appreciate how far behind England can be. And that was with practically no non-uk players around.

Yet some commentators class the 70's as glory days for the English game, as club sides won European competitions
Our national side never qualified, through a group, for any of the three World cups

True. But there were great non-Eng UK players in those teams and there were some great ones in the 'Olden Days'. A Great Britain team would have been able to hold its own with someone like Cloughie at the helm I reckon.

When they were reclassified as 'foreign' for squad purposes and the tv money really stated flowing english clubs (led by Arsenal with the landmark signing of Berkamp for some as then unbelievable fee) had a much wider pool of 'foreign' players to choose from and it seemed to kill off the Great Scottish Footballer production line.

ORodney said:
Wenger does bring on young talent thru the Academy, as do Chelsea. Not necessarily English talent..

Bullshit. Name the last regular first team player Chelsea brought through

Damocles said:
ORodney said:
Wenger does bring on young talent thru the Academy, as do Chelsea. Not necessarily English talent..

Pains me to say it, but John Terry. Moved to Chelsea when 15 from the Spammers.

Other than that, you're right Damo :-)

havelocke said:
Damocles said:

Pains me to say it, but John Terry. Moved to Chelsea when 15 from the Spammers.

Other than that, you're right Damo :-)

John Terry debuted 12 years ago. Not sure how that's a reflection on the great Chelsea youth system :P

I suspect the real question is who has ruined Englands chances of sucess at a national tournament?

Answer - for me FA ably assisted by UEFA, and FIFA, and the chairman of football clubs together with the managers for not putting the interests of the national team above that of the clubs interests.

FA - For not investing in professional coaches at youth level, someone on here mentioned a while back that while England had a thousand coaches wiorking at this level Germany had 20 thousand. Poor management, and a system of board members which resembles a mens club and should have been consigned to the dustbin years ago. For building a new stadium which ended up over budget and in the wrong place (my opinion only - should have been built in central location) crippling the FA with debt so that now everything they do has to service that debt.

UEFA - with their anti England agenda, the creation of the Champions League so that all clubs see that as the holy grail and a pinnacle of sucess.

FIFA- that bumbling tosser Blatter, need say no more.

Chairman - inflating transfer fees and allowing astronomical wages for players to be paid thereby forcing clubs to look abroad for cheaper alternatives. Not investing in their own youth policies.

Managers - see Chairman - putting the clubs and their own interest above that of the nation. (Can't see Baconface worrying about England yet has been in charge for 2 decades).

The Pink Panther said:
ORodney said:

Yet some commentators class the 70's as glory days for the English game, as club sides won European competitions
Our national side never qualified, through a group, for any of the three World cups

People always forget the fact that in fact we did not qualify for a World Cup from 1962 to 1982

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.