Soccer Saturday Sackings

I haven't watched Soccer Saturday at home on TV ever since SSN was taken off freeview around 2011-12 iirc. Watch clips on youtube and when I was working Saturdays at my old job it'd be on as background noise. But I can't imagine the ratings have been good in recent years because it's so easy to stream 3pm games now on pc and mobile. The concept of having to watch blokes watch games and tell you what happens because you are legally unable to watch is an antiquated model. But I think whatever was holding this show and concept up by the sting will collapse with these departures.

The only thing that this show still had going was the chemistry and pub humour of the panel marshalled by Stelling. Six hours is an awfully long time to be on camera for a football program and they weren't known for cutting edge analysis. It was the lightheartedness about it that sold the program in its heyday and kept it going past its best years.

BBC's Final Score never threatened Soccer Saturday because it being the BBC meant it had to be formal and therefore dull. BT jumped on board recently to give their bloated pundit pool something to do but by then it was a dying concept. Now without the personality what are people going to tune in for?

I don't mind Alex Stott if I am honest, rather her than that shouty scouser with the awful mullet.

Football banter from the panel will end up like an episode of Ellen Degeneres with "love bites and everyfink" before long.

im kinda with you.

She’s also very easy on the eye...

I haven't watched Soccer Saturday at home on TV ever since SSN was taken off freeview around 2011-12 iirc. Watch clips on youtube and when I was working Saturdays at my old job it'd be on as background noise. But I can't imagine the ratings have been good in recent years because it's so easy to stream 3pm games now on pc and mobile. The concept of having to watch blokes watch games and tell you what happens because you are legally unable to watch is an antiquated model. But I think whatever was holding this show and concept up by the sting will collapse with these departures.

The only thing that this show still had going was the chemistry and pub humour of the panel marshalled by Stelling. Six hours is an awfully long time to be on camera for a football program and they weren't known for cutting edge analysis. It was the lightheartedness about it that sold the program in its heyday and kept it going past its best years.

BBC's Final Score never threatened Soccer Saturday because it being the BBC meant it had to be formal and therefore dull. BT jumped on board recently to give their bloated pundit pool something to do but by then it was a dying concept. Now without the personality what are people going to tune in for?

Agreed.

Soccer Saturday was never about the serious analysis and I'm not sure anyone wants to see pundits give in depth tactical insight or the latest knowledge about some journeyman Eredivisie striker, let alone from ex-footballers they've never heard of or people who haven't played the game at a decent level.

Time will tell but I suspect this hasn't been done for creative reasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.