Social media and the workplace

A friend of mine was dismissed for writing a satirical post management deemed racist yesterday.

The company does has a social media policy but this hasn't been agreed with the unions because they thought it was too invasive into members personal lives outside of work.

The people that know him knew it was but they've used it as an excuse to sack him and deny two others promotions who liked it.

It got me thinking about how some workplaces seem to think they own you outside of your contract hours and then use your SM to punish you.
Not the first time social media has sparked a disciplinary at our gaff.

They have people who trawl SM,and then there are the poisonous twats who see something and 'run upstairs' with their evidence.The lesson is.....dont provide reason or excuse.

They have people who trawl SM,and then there are the poisonous twats who see something and 'run upstairs' with their evidence.The lesson is.....dont provide reason or excuse.
I’d never post anything in my name online, other than work related on LinkedIn, it’s just not worth it in today’s world.

Tell him or her to speak to an employment lawyer if they don't already have plans to. These policies certainly seem to be in conflict with freedom of expression.

Obviously there is a balancing act between discrimination policies but the sense I get is these policies are more often used as a convenient method to dismiss employees.

In the meantime it is probably best practice to put as much distance and barriers between your social media and employers. Use of private profiles, alternate name/anonymity, no reference to occupation or employer in bio and don't give access to untrustworthy colleagues who could turn grass.

Should strengthen argument that you weren't bringing employer into disrepute if there is no discernible link (even with googling) between them and you.
His union reps are already doing it. Luckily he worked in a union recognised environment. Hoping to get him back on appeal as another colleague charged with the same thing was given a written warning. The other person has a reputation of being a management lackey.

Don't say where you work on SM or have any pics taken while at work.

The amount of staff that post something while at work at our place and tgen get pulled on the social media policy and also the no phones on the shop floor policy.

I’d never post anything in my name online, other than work related on LinkedIn, it’s just not worth it in today’s world.
This. I don't know why folk risk putting anything but the most banal and mainstream opinion on a medium which is infested by millions of people hovering for a chance make themselves look good by feigning offence and outrage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.