Solipsism

TangerineSteve17 said:
A reasonable stance or not?

The syllogism goes:

1. Nothing exists.
2. Even if something exists, nothing can be known about it.
3. Even if something could be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others.

Can it be completely refuted? I'm not sure how many "for" arguments for this we'll get, but I'm interested in hearing all views.

One for the philosophers of the forum, cos I find all this stuff fascinating. Come at it at any angle you want. Religious, Epistemological, Metaphysical, whatever.
Bad and all as they were (and let's be honest; they weren't great!), I think I preferred your joke period!

jimharri said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

The syllogism goes:

1. Nothing exists.
3. Even if something could be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others.

Can it be completely refuted? I'm not sure how many "for" arguments for this we'll get, but I'm interested in hearing all views.

One for the philosophers of the forum, cos I find all this stuff fascinating. Come at it at any angle you want. Religious, Epistemological, Metaphysical, whatever.
Bad and all as they were (and let's be honest; they weren't great!), I think I preferred your joke period!

Don't let him fool you Jim, he's a copy n paste merchant...

rushts said:
jimharri said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

The syllogism goes:

1. Nothing exists.

Don't let him fool you Jim, he's a copy n paste merchant...
Nowt wrong with that r; I wish I had a tenner for every c+p post I've done on here!

cutelilkitten.jpg

Wow, this forum never ceases to amaze me in its capacity to educate and enlighten me about things I have never heard of before. Admittedly last weeks " fleshlight" was a lot less highbrow than this one!!

hackneyslim said:
'I think therefore I am' merely demonstrates that there is thinking and not necessarily an 'I'.

I'm not sure if there is a philosophical theory that cannot be refuted. I'd like to hear more, with an example. I'm pretty sure Leibnitz would appreciate it.

'Nothing exists' is a deceptively complex statement, I think, and would fall under Nihilism rather than Solipsism, for me. The latter rather postulates that the self is the only existant thing and then goes the other way from Descartes and holds that the outside world and any knowledge of it can be doubted.

Now let's get back to the t*ts, eh?

I don't know about his philosophy but he makes nice chocolate biscuits.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.