solor panels

PJMCC1UK said:
rambo said:
One of my pet hates the incorrect use of the description 'Solar Panels'. All these things appearing on roofs all over the country are photovoltaic panels which convert the light into electricity which is put back into the national grid, and the household is given a credit against there bill.
They will NEVER payback.....they will have broken long before the payback period.

Solar panels are tubes which are filled with special liquid which heats up your hot water and are used extensively on the continent where its Sunny, and no use here.

These companies offering the Photovoltaic panels are conning everybody along with the Government.

And while I'm on a roll, the companies offering to insulate your house on the cheap by applying for a grant on your behalf..... its all paid for by the Government who are getting the money from the Energy companies....hence the increase in Energy costs. We are all paying for our own Grants !!!!!!!!

Aren't I a miserable git ;-)

No you're a wise man.
To add, wind turbines are a waste of time too. But we're paying to put them up with tax money. Common sense is missing in the powerhouses of this country

Pv panels are a no brainer investment.

Better return than any bank or building society.

Guaranteed inflation linked return for 25 yrs.

In profit from about year 8 to year 25.

Branded name equipment guaranteed.

Loan the money,payback over 8yrs,profit from there on.

If you,ve got the roof space,get 4kw.

WE have to have solar panels,they're our only form of electrickery for both properties,that and generators as back up.They charge 2 banks of batteries that will last about 2 -3 days without sun under normal use, then we turn on the genny.Mind you,we get about 300 days of sunshine,can't see them doing too well on a roof in Sale.

They had thousands of PV panels in fields along the railways in Munich. Is the whole life cycle of them being considered by councils installing these? Parts used to make them most likely made in China etc then shipped across the world.

PJMCC1UK said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
If we fully exploited wind turbines and tidal barrage generators on every coastline in this country we wouldn't have to burn any coal or oil ever again. If you ask me, we don't invest heavily enough. Can you imagine the money we might save in the long term from importing? Especially as the price of oil is rocketing.

Having your own generators at home isn't that profitable at the moment I agree. It will get cheaper as time goes on though.

Wind turbines are only 26% efficient. In their life time they will not make the money back that it took to build them and the fields where they stand. If the wind is too soft they don't turn for obvious reasons. If it's too strong they don't turn because they're deemed unsafe.
They are part of the biggest green con going.
Those at sea are a little different because the wind turns them more but they're still not efficient. And we need power at different levels at different times. Wind and wave power is too unreliable. Watched the story of the national grid on bbc4 where they showed the people who predict when more power is needed. i.e. as Eastenders ends they have to ring power stations to tell them to produce more.
Not sure you mean reliable, tidal power is the most reliable generator of energy available. The issue with it is it can only generate electricity 4 times a day (high and low tides)

Battery (pun unintended) farmed cattle is the future. Harness the methane, save on the petrol used to ship them to slaughter, win, win

whitt said:
They had thousands of PV panels in fields along the railways in Munich. Is the whole life cycle of them being considered by councils installing these? Parts used to make them most likely made in China etc then shipped across the world.

Germany I think leads the way,about 70% of houses where its suitable have it.

talkativesprout said:
Battery (pun unintended) farmed cattle is the future. Harness the methane, save on the petrol used to ship them to slaughter, win, win

its already being done with landfill sites....some renewable energy companies have been investing in landfill energy for a few years now

ENER-G based in salford are one of the market leaders in landfill gas reclamation

shadygiz said:
chp generators are the way to go....they burn fuel to produce electricity...the heat generated warms the property and the electric is fed back into the grid.

even air to air & ground source heat pump boilers are starting to grow on a domestic scale

i am currently working on a new design for a flagship sainsburys next to the thames....thames water have given permission for sainsburys to bore into the thames. pipe coils are dropped into the bore holes to reject heat into the ground and also extract heat from the ground. You'd be suprised how efficient our planets soil is at trapping heat. We can get around 10-15 degrees of heat out of a bore hole, even if the external temperature is below zero degrees.

Heat rejection from the internal fridges in the store is diverted to serve areas of the store that require heat....the leftover redundant heat is rejected back into the ground. On cooler days in winter, heat is taken from the ground and fed into the store to keep the heating costs down

Not beeen involved with ground source heating myself,but the company i work for have installed a few of these systems.
I think in general,for domestic or farm purposes,its not as lucrative as PV.

joe mancini said:
PJMCC1UK said:
rambo said:
One of my pet hates the incorrect use of the description 'Solar Panels'. All these things appearing on roofs all over the country are photovoltaic panels which convert the light into electricity which is put back into the national grid, and the household is given a credit against there bill.
They will NEVER payback.....they will have broken long before the payback period.

Solar panels are tubes which are filled with special liquid which heats up your hot water and are used extensively on the continent where its Sunny, and no use here.

These companies offering the Photovoltaic panels are conning everybody along with the Government.

And while I'm on a roll, the companies offering to insulate your house on the cheap by applying for a grant on your behalf..... its all paid for by the Government who are getting the money from the Energy companies....hence the increase in Energy costs. We are all paying for our own Grants !!!!!!!!

Aren't I a miserable git ;-)

No you're a wise man.
To add, wind turbines are a waste of time too. But we're paying to put them up with tax money. Common sense is missing in the powerhouses of this country

Pv panels are a no brainer investment.

Better return than any bank or building society.

Guaranteed inflation linked return for 25 yrs.

In profit from about year 8 to year 25.

Branded name equipment guaranteed.

Loan the money,payback over 8yrs,profit from there on.

If you,ve got the roof space,get 4kw.

That's the way I see it so had them fitted last week. I had some money that I certainly wasn't prepared to just leave sitting in the bank getting pretty much zero interest and these offer a decent return. You get 43p per unit from the government guaranteed for 24 years (as long as you get it sorted before March) and you can still use the electricity you produce yourself and get paid for each unit (crazy but true) so it lowers your bill as well. Used a very reputable firm who are registered with all the official bodies and all work and parts are guaranteed for 20 years.

BlueMoonWalker said:
Wind turbines are only 26% efficient. In their life time they will not make the money back that it took to build them and the fields where they stand. If the wind is too soft they don't turn for obvious reasons. If it's too strong they don't turn because they're deemed unsafe.
They are part of the biggest green con going.
Those at sea are a little different because the wind turns them more but they're still not efficient. And we need power at different levels at different times. Wind and wave power is too unreliable. Watched the story of the national grid on bbc4 where they showed the people who predict when more power is needed. i.e. as Eastenders ends they have to ring power stations to tell them to produce more.
Not sure you mean reliable, tidal power is the most reliable generator of energy available. The issue with it is it can only generate electricity 4 times a day (high and low tides)

I mean like in the case of the power surges we need. They can't be called on at certain times to cope with demand. We're pretty much reliant on their timing not our own. Plus there's the issue of how many we can actually put out there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.