Songs We’ve Plagiarised Into Chants

H-A-P-P-Y = City til I die ( sure we were first to start it at Huddersfield in 1997 )
City till I die was sung even earlier. It was sung at Swindon away on 2nd November 1996 a 2-0 defeat in the 2nd tier in the pouring rain in an open end and rather appropriately Coppell's last match as manager.

One of the older songs City fans adapted was Bless ‘em All. Sung in mid 1950s. I posted the lyrics sung by fans in the 50s in my book Manchester The Greatest City in the 1990s (photo of them here).

Much further back there’s the Who Said City Couldn’t Play chant which was based on the 1920s song ‘what a rotten song, what a rotten singer too’. We’ve film of fans singing that in 1934.

Certain clubs claim to have invented chanting but they didn’t. I’m not saying City did but we’ve got adapted popular songs being sung at City games going back decades. Definitely as far back as the early 30s but possibly going back even further. There are songs with words referencing Meredith from early 1900s which may well have been adapted popular songs of the day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Got to be honest not read the whole thread. But am I imagining this or did we use to have a chant along the lines of
“One man and his baseball bat, went to mow and Chelsea”?

Seeing Gary James on the last post on this thread, reminds me to add it was great to hear him guesting on the Colin Murray show this morning, as the expert talking about the history of City and Blue Moon. Definitely recommended to have a listen via BBC Sounds if anyone missed it.

Got to be honest not read the whole thread. But am I imagining this or did we use to have a chant along the lines of
“One man and his baseball bat, went to mow and Chelsea”?

Seeing Gary James on the last post on this thread, reminds me to add it was great to hear him guesting on the Colin Murray show this morning, as the expert talking about the history of City and Blue Moon. Definitely recommended to have a listen via BBC Sounds if anyone missed it.
Yes we did and it went up to 2 men for a verse then 3 right up to 10 men which was sung louder and, I think, finished with “City! Clap clap clap”

………Sha-la Summerbee. (Who the fucking hell is he?)
Legend.
I was on a bus when this was first sung.

It was on an away trip during the Second Division season in 1965-66. The Sha La La La Lee song was on the radio and half the bus were singing along and came up with the Summerbee version. It was sung at the away match and soon caught on.

After Sha La La La Summerbee came the response from the opposition:

Who the fucking hell is he?

That was met with:

The greatest centre forward in history.

(Remember that Summerbee often wore the number nine shirt back then, with Francis Lee in number seven.)

Subsequently, in 1968, this was extended to:

United one and City three.

The not often sang anymore FA Cup (hate) chant.

I'm dreaming of a blue Wembley.
Just like the one's I used to know.
With the blue flags flying.
And Scousers dieing.(which has nothing to do with Hillsborough)
To see City win the cup.
WIn the cup.
Get pissed up.

Deffo nothing to do with Hillsborough. Wwe were singing it at Anfield at the 1981 league Cup semi four years before the disaster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.