Soriano: B teams in EFL

Why would you have boycott ?
Wouldn’t boycott tbf would just give up pro football if b teams were introduced. Do you really want youth sides taking up the places of genuine historic clubs with real fan bases? The idea of a club being in a league with no purpose (as they can’t get promoted) just delegitimises the whole competition. Attendances will obviously take a huge hit as well.

Iain Macintosh sums it up perfectly...

8E25E8CB-6020-4397-963D-7C61E6278E23.jpeg

Last edited:
I would think that the football league would want a sizeable payoff to even consider the B team option, and wouldn't consider it in the Championship anyway.

It would also either need takeovers of existing clubs or collapse of clubs to fit the teams in. Then it gets down to who is allowed to have a B team, which is a whole other bunfight.

There are so many obstacles to overcome before it becomes a serious argument in England that I can't see it happening without multiple closures. My impression is that some of the Spanish B teams came into the leagues when the league was reorganised to have 3rd flights - that just isn't possible in England's structure.

I've posted this is another thread but B teams was one of the considerations earlier in the year in meetings between UNited, Liverpool, Chelsea + Clarke from the FA and Parry. This was leaked to the Telegraph and in an article there today.

• "Elite club football in England is reconfigured to two divisions of 18 clubs nominally called Premier League 1 and 2", he says, "with the objectives of limiting the number of games and establishing common governance, financial regulation and media marketing".
  • The EFL is "reconfigured to combine Leagues One and Two together with the National League and National League North and South and comprising five divisions".
  • The League Cup and FA Cup replays are "discontinued".
  • Solidarity payments are "reshaped to encourage financial stability in the new EFL and Elite Player Development (EPPP) is limited to Premier League 1 & 2".
  • The establishment of Premier League B teams within the EFL is "investigated with the aim of providing truly competitive football to elite young talent and replace the current ad hoc loan system".
  • The FA is reshaped to focus "all of its funds on grass roots football and the women’s game"
  • The FA Board becomes the forum "where the English game is governed and top level stakeholder representatives attend". "However, stakeholder subsidiarity is maintained with power to run and regulate competitions retained by the leagues."

Nothing wrong with having B teams in the league's. The only question is what league they should go. Is it League Two or one of the lower leagues. It could always be stipulated that the cannot be promoted beyond League Two.

This could be a reason why some of the big six clubs want their B teams co-opted into one of the League's, is that they loan out their players and that they don't get sufficient game time to help their development.

Maybe the FA should make it a stipulation that if you take a player on loan, he has to start a certain % of games during the season. Say at least 50% of the gamrs. If the club doesn't do that, that club will be liable to play all of the loan players wage.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t boycott tbf would just give up pro football if b teams were introduced. Do you really want youth sides taking up the places of genuine historic clubs with real fan bases? The idea of a club being in a league with no purpose (as they can’t get promoted) just delegitimises the whole competition. Attendances will obviously take a huge hit as well.

View attachment 3848

I completely agree with him!

View attachment 3848

So you wouldn’t boycott but would give up on football therefore boycott it

Would we be replacing existing clubs tho ? They would still exist but would just be in different leagues and the Prem use to have more clubs in it didn’t other leagues to ? Would for example Westham be fielding a youth b team ? I do not think so I think at least to begin with it would be maybe us United Liverpool and Chelsea

As for historic there are some very new clubs lower down the league or clubs that have completely changed name location etc

Any clubs that are replaced won’t stop existing at most they will stop being professional but there probably not viable as that anyway

I agree with sharing the money especially at the moment but why are fans of lower division teams considered to be "genuine hardcore"? I know lots of fans of lower division clubs who attend far fewer games than many City fans I know.

The Blues are quite fortunate because Manchester (I'm assuming they're based there) is well connected with motorways, trains and the club can organise mutual travel too. Bit different if you're Exeter or Carlisle.

I follow Hereford a bit and make an occasion of every match I get to at Edgar Street. I'll buy some merchandise, a programme, 50/50 draw tickets, drink in the club bar etc. If everyone did that for clubs they've got some interest in then it would be healthier. Although Hereford are quite unique because they reformed debt free and are backed by local businessmen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.