Southampton (A) | Post Match Thread

I don't like Southampton one bit. Weird fans and people. I sailed with a fair few from that region years ago and they were invariably cocky not nice people. Portsmouth fans call them scummers for this reason.

According to some Portsmouth fans, the term "scum" developed out of an fictitious acronym standing for Southampton City (or Corporation) Union Men, with the term allegedly originating from when Southampton dockyard workers supposedly crossed the picket lines in the 1930s when Portsmouth dockyard workers were on strike.

I don't like them for causing a huge fuss about the ticket allocation for our last ever game at Maine Road then beating us 1-0. After all the fuss they didn't even sell out their ticket allocation, which is normal for them. Then they sing "Your support is fucking shit" to us after we took almost 5,000 fans on a Sunday for a 400 mile round trip bring shown live on the TV. Fuck off Southampton and then fuck off some more.

View attachment 38961
Love this!

Not suggesting there are, and Pep has a core of 15-16 players from which he picks when fit. He has ALWAYS done this. It is keeping those players fit & rested that will be the key…

A few subs here and there doesn’t generally weaken the team.
Yes he has always done this hence we need those 16 players particularly those currently struggling for form to pick up. Especially with lots of big games coming up in a short period of time.

Glad you got there, jees:-)

Yes he has always done this hence we need those 16 players particularly those currently struggling for form to pick up. Especially with lots of big games coming up in a short period of time.

Glad you got there, jees:-)
Was always there, but I thought we were talking about the 4 game stint EVERYONE is talking about. :-)

Clearly, the season isn’t over even if we win all 4 games, and Brighton are not to be sneezed at, but I think he will focus on playing his strongest XI, with judicious subs as needed, to get through those games.

Also, Atleti and Liverpool both pose different threats, which may aid in Pep’s rotation amongst his main squad.

A decent performance against a spirited Saints side who ran around like they were on drugs. We calmed things down in the second half & the second goal gave us an element of control, albeit Saints still looked dangerous on the break. The third broke them & the fourth sealed a win which was harder than the scoreline suggested.

One thing I've long thought is that our best midfield consists of Rodri, Gundog & one from KDB or Bernardo. This is the conundrum we regularly face. I honestly don't think KDB & Bernardo compliment each other in a midfield three. The only way I see it working to accommodate all three is to use KDB as a false 9 at best.

What we'll do regarding team selection once Alvarez & possibly Haaland arrive, will make things interesting. I can't see Jesus surviving & an unfair question mark will surround Sterling's future.

With Pep yet to sign an extension or signal his future plans, this summer will tell us a lot about Manchester City for the next 5 years imo. Being a point ahead of the Dippers, facing them in the FA Cup Semis & with Atletico in the UCL QF's, it means potential success this season became harder on all fronts in the space of a week.

It's all down to the lads now. We'll do our bit as fans, so let's hope they can deliver with our fervent support.

Worrying that the general form of our players is still pretty poor. We were sluggish and sloppy yet again. We need to snap out of it sharpish. The international break might help...or might make it worse, we shall see. There haven't been many spells under Pep where we've played so poorly for such a long time. Results have generally been okay still, but it's just not clicking at the moment.
This is why we need a world class striker urgently. Right now we have few options outside of a false 9, so teams are perfecting ways of nullifying us.

It's why we appear to be struggling at times & need a clinical striker to give defences a focal point to concentrate on, which will free up other areas.

This is why we need a world class striker urgently. Right now we have few options outside of a false 9, so teams are perfecting ways of nullifying us.

It's why we appear to be struggling at times & need a clinical striker to give defences a focal point to concentrate on, which will free up other areas.
The only thing I see. Is teams perfecting their pressing game or perfecting defending deep.

The counter is the real problem. Stop them and we win every game and occasionally draw one.
The world class striker makes it more difficult for us. Unless you mean world class finisher. which is the difference between Bernardo and Messi.
and if Haaland did come. I think he would be used like Kev De Bruyne and not as a target man

I don't like Southampton one bit. Weird fans and people. I sailed with a fair few from that region years ago and they were invariably cocky not nice people. Portsmouth fans call them scummers for this reason.

According to some Portsmouth fans, the term "scum" developed out of an fictitious acronym standing for Southampton City (or Corporation) Union Men, with the term allegedly originating from when Southampton dockyard workers supposedly crossed the picket lines in the 1930s when Portsmouth dockyard workers were on strike.

I don't like them for causing a huge fuss about the ticket allocation for our last ever game at Maine Road then beating us 1-0. After all the fuss they didn't even sell out their ticket allocation, which is normal for them. Then they sing "Your support is fucking shit" to us after we took almost 5,000 fans on a Sunday for a 400 mile round trip bring shown live on the TV. Fuck off Southampton and then fuck off some more.

View attachment 38961
Brilliant Chapo, a work of art sir, i am applauding you as i write this response!!

The only thing I see. Is teams perfecting their pressing game or perfecting defending deep.

The counter is the real problem. Stop them and we win every game and occasionally draw one.
The world class striker makes it more difficult for us. Unless you mean world class finisher. which is the difference between Bernardo and Messi.
and if Haaland did come. I think he would be used like Kev De Bruyne and not as a target man
Messi is a once in a generation enigma. No one aside from Mardona comes close for affecting matches, but not even he could match Messi's goal return.

I fully get why Pep wanted Kane. He's the finisher we need, who can drop deep into midfield to defend & create attacks. Evidently Pep doesn't want a goal hanger, who doesn't contribute to the buildup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.