Spoke to a Gillingham fan...

I was at the tunnel end, cursing City for being complete and utter wankers, and refusing to let them get my hopes up with the Horlock goal. Typical bastard City, I thought; they couldn't just lose 2-0, they had to go and grab a consolation goal and get us all dreaming. The realisation then hit me that I was going to have to go to all those shitty horrible grounds all over again and that we were gonna be stuck in that division for 3 or 4 more years.

Then Dickov scored. I managed to jump up and down a couple of times and generally go a bit mental for a split second before the surge hit me and I ended up on the floor at least 12 rows in front of where I'd started!

I couldnt get to the game as had to work, but got to a Pub showing it in Hertfordshire about 1 hour before kick off. Met my brother in there who is a City fan also, and 2 friends, both Spurs fans.

Had a table near the corner of the pub as no one else was even remotly interested in the game (Div 2 play off final after all). Spurs friends taking the piss at 2-0, beer flowing, and so downbeat.

When Horlock scored, i thought "typical City", give us a faint chance of hope only to have hopes dashed again minuted later. I was resigned to defeat at 2-0 but now had my hopes high.

Then the goal went in, it took a few seconds to register, perhaps that was the beer, or the shock of what was happening, and i jumped up, knocking the table, and spilling everyone's drinks, and went mad celebrating. My brother the same, shouting "yes, yes".

A Small child near us started crying (probably a Utd fan lol) so we tuned it down abit.

When it went to penalties, i knew we would win due to Weaver, just had a feeling.

Still remember that game like it was yesterday

That's about right. But I had to stop after a few moments because I seriously thought my head was going to explode, have a brain haemmorhage or something. But whatever we win over the next few years - FA Cup, Premier League, Champions League or the Grand National, nothing will surpass that moment. It's physically and emotionally impossible.

I cannot agree more, nothing will ever surpass that moment, love to watch the video over and over again!

Mind you, Champions league final, 2012.... Rags 2 CITY 0, 90 mins and the board goes up, 8 mins!!! Bacon face rages at the 4th official and is sent to the stand, Tevez hatrick in 8 mins! I think that may just pip the Dickov goal :)

managed to get a ticket for the girlfriend (now wife) and it was the day that she finally realised just what football meant to people and how much emotional commitment there was (to the football I mean!!)

I'm nearly 44 and to say that was the best day in my life, football wise, is a bit sad in some ways.But it was and I loved it and remember it so warmly still. Football is all about highs and lows and God knows City fans have had more than their fair share of lows. As an earlier poster said whatever happens in the next few years, and fingers crossed we will reach dizzy heights,it will have to be very very special to beat that day.For highs and lows,expectation and dread, disappointment and pure ecstasy it had it all. I look forward to the time I can say that was the second best day in my life. C'mon City onwards and upwards.
The future IS bright, bright sky blue.

stonie said:
i was full of E's and wizz so it kinda was mad
Ha ha me to I had been to Homelands the night before and hadn't slept for two days. My misses, God love her, drove down to pick me and my mates up.One of them Dave danced, in his seat, all the way home. Too this day she still refers to him as Dancy Dave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.