Sporting Lisbon crisis, could we use anybody?

urban genie

After players were attacked at their training ground by masked thugs for not qualifying for the champs leagues several sproting players have resigned their contracts and are effectively free agents

Gelson Martins
William Carvalho
Bruno Fernandes
Das Bost
Rui patricio
Daniel Podence

Now not saying they are world class, but for backup squad basis Matins and Das Bost are consistent and if free agents maybe worth a punt.

If already a thread please merge as haven't looked properly down the page

Last edited:
Unfortunately no.

If he for some reason became OK with a back up spot, Rui Patricio could potentially be a Bravo replacement, but it seems very unlikely.

Carvalho could potentially be a last minute last resort if Jorginho fell through, but I doubt it.

We were linked with Gelson Martins a bit at one point, but I think he's below our level, Arsenal linked heavily.

Unfortunately no.

If he for some reason became OK with a back up spot, Rui Patricio could potentially be a Bravo replacement, but it seems very unlikely.

Carvalho could potentially be a last minute last resort if Jorginho fell through, but I doubt it.

We were linked with Gelson Martins a bit at one point, but I think he's below our level, Arsenal linked heavily.

Thought the same, but thought I would throw it out there, as you say only as back ups especially as free agents, wouldn't expect them to dislodge our first choice team, scousers strongly linked with martin today too.

No squad rules means that any foreign playes has to improve the squad. At present we only have 1 spot available for replacing Toure. As we seem to be signing Mahrez and Jorginho we already need to lose one more as I understand it. If we need to backfill we need to use our own players from the EDS as they are probably as good as these in any case

Gelson Martins would probably be the only plausible signing for us, that pacey direct winger we need as backup for Raz on the right, probably more upside than Mahrez but rawer.

William Carvalho could genuinely have been a perfect player under Pep but I think he missed his window by being stuck at Sporting 2 or 3 years too long (they are a bit like Arsenal, players break through at a young age and look great, but then stagnate as they seem incapable of developing them once they've made that breakthrough) He'll almost certainly join Marco Silva at Everton and probably do well there.

Bas Dost is genuinely shit. Podence is no one of note at this stage and Patricio isn't particularly good, probably heading to Wolves. Bruno Fernandes is a top quality player, but just in a position that we really don't need. He'll be a great signing for someone though

They'd still be in the same boat as they are at Sporting Lisbon, as we couldn't guarantee their safety from hooligan supporters when we played Dipperpool at Klanfield.

It's a NO from me.

Can see some of these ending up at West Ham, weren’t they linked previously with Carvalho ? Mind you if you believe the press we have been signing every player under the sun in the last few years.

lappet-faced.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.