Sportswashing is a made up word, so what's your definition?

Maly

Good old Miguel has written (yet another) article on sportwashing & having read the article & found it an interesting read, it’s thrown up more questions than answers for me. It mentions that sportswashing has no exact definition ie, it’s a made up word, which we all already knew.

What would your definition be?

Whilst I’m sure we’ll get some belting definitions, I’ve deduced, that whilst sportswashing has no definitive meaning in the English language, it can be interpreted as meaning:
‘To deflect unwanted attention to a negative action whilst simultaneously normalising ones name through sport’, which I think is a fair reflection of how it’s being used.

With that definition in mind, every football club (& many other sports) are in some way sportswashing, including a lot of amateur clubs, for the simple fact that all sportswear manufacturers are using sport to normalise their name/brand, whilst trying to deflect the fact that they use or have historically used child labour in 3rd world countries.

So why isn’t everybody up in arms that every club or nation who wears any manufacturers shirt, such as Nike, Adidas, Puma etc etc is washing the name of companies who want to deflect their use or previous use of child labour, whilst normalising their name/brand, when child labour is one of the most serious abuses of human rights? (Rhetorical question btw)

Which is pretty much every:
Football club (including amateur teams) & the national teams;
Cricket teams & national teams
Rugby teams & national teams
Tennis players
Athletes
Golfers

My other 2 definitions, seeing how it's being used would be:
'A means to imply that anything involved with the Middle East is dirty & therefore needs to be washed.'
'I hate Arabs'

why is there even a thread on such a word, a word made up to belittle and smear my club, .
So that people can belittle anyone who uses the word.

Anyone mentions sportswashing to me, my immediate response is.....what does sportswashing mean, then watch a fuckwit get tongue tied

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.