Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

At this point in time I can't see us finishing top 4, all the euphoria of beating UEFA undone by our own ineptitude. The team at the minute is so demoralising to watch.

I love Pep but his decisions recently are absolutely fucking baffling. Foden not playing, Bernardo and Mahrez playing, leaving aguero on the bench. Just sooooooooo frustrating and tbh if you think it's getting better any time soon, you're deluded.
It would be the ultimate, final level boss of ‘Typical City’ to defeat UEFA and our domestic enemies at CAS and then effectively ban ourselves from the Champions League anyway through footballing incompetence

I think you are expecting too much from the players. They are trying to find the spaces but teams are so well drilled and organized that there is little to no space to exploit. They are doing what they are told to do so maybe it is the manager. The main problem yesterday was that we kept trying to break spurs down but we could not find space to exploit, perhaps we should have stopped and made them come at us but it is the manager who tells them to have patience and keep trying.
but why the golf chips every attack
pass pass pass pass chip

Don't slaughter me but watching the game yesterday towards the end I was wishing we had a Dzeko type striker to at least give the Spurs defence to think about. Someone mentioned a few pages back that Torres was six foot which I didn't realise but he is also slight in build. It just seemed that as long as we were trying to pass the ball into the net Spurs were comfortable our corners and crosses are a waste. I feel someone like that would give a different option.

One of the biggest issues for me is that many recent performances show a lack of self-motivation from a number of players. Strength of character becomes more exposed when there is no football crowd to spur you on. Not just whether you're winning or losing, but also when needing to retain a high-intensity. We've all sensed these moments as supporters at the ground when the team have dropped a few gears and need to up the tempo. The players (usually) also sense this.

Now, more than ever, is when our players need to give that extra 10 percent (or 50 percent in some cases). We were far more creative when we played at a faster pace, turned over possesion quicker and didn't allow the opposition any time to organise and regroup. Passing from side to side at walking pace is pretty much pointless when the fundamental ideas of passing side to side are to advance up the pitch whilst hopefully pulling the other team out of shape. Players that are unable to play at pace, or need to slow the game down due to their technical limitations or their inability to think quickly need to be identified as soon as possible. They simply do not suit our style of play.

The performance/result was in no way a surprise, but I just got caught up in the Pep contract news and allowed myself to think it may give us a boost to kick on, which then made watching that performance all the more frustrating.

Knew we weren't going to score the second Jesus was tackled when in on goal and the ball broke to De Bruyne who blasted it straight into Jesus, who was on the floor, to block it going in to bottom corner.

Then the goal being ruled out was the final nail and wish I'd saved myself the frustration of watching the rest of the game and switched it off then.

The squad is in transition but Pep has been appalling so far this year (well past 12 months really) - how has he not watched Spurs this season with Kane dropping deep and feeding their wide forwards, mainly Son, and not decided to block that option with our holding midfielder instead of Laporte jumping out of position? He learnt from this in 16/17 when he stopped the CB's challenging for goal kicks/long balls and let Fernandinho do it so runners didn't get in behind us.. yet yesterday he just fell right into their very obvious plan.

I know it's a horrible thing to say but it's getting to that stage where Mahrez needs an injury or something just to completely take him out the equation. He is a complete and utter liability and is the biggest problem with our forward play at the minute.

Don't slaughter me but watching the game yesterday towards the end I was wishing we had a Dzeko type striker to at least give the Spurs defence to think about. Someone mentioned a few pages back that Torres was six foot which I didn't realise but he is also slight in build. It just seemed that as long as we were trying to pass the ball into the net Spurs were comfortable our corners and crosses are a waste. I feel someone like that would give a different option.
We’re very one dimensional these days aren’t we? Haaland looks like he would fit the bill in terms of giving us another option. Technically he’s pretty sound as well. We’re also missing the pace and power we used to get from Sane.

At this point in time I can't see us finishing top 4, all the euphoria of beating UEFA undone by our own ineptitude. The team at the minute is so demoralising to watch.

I love Pep but his decisions recently are absolutely fucking baffling. Foden not playing, Bernardo and Mahrez playing, leaving aguero on the bench. Just sooooooooo frustrating and tbh if you think it's getting better any time soon, you're deluded.
Your last sentence is interesting. Unless something clicks very quickly we will be wallowing closer to bottom than top. Do I think that will happen, no. However a few posters are saying "we're only 8 games in". Well them 8 can quickly become 10, 12 and so on. You won't hear a peep out of them if that happens. This team has got so much more in it but you're right, we don't look like getting better.

For winning yet another trophy and finishing 2nd in the league?

None....no excuses needed.
Our expectations go far beyond that now, and they should with the squad we have. beaten out of sight in the league with 9 defeats including both Derbies, FA Cup semi final defeat to Arsenal and a champions league exit to Mighty Lyon. Not good enough.

Last edited:
Same old same old,left footed playing on the right,right footed playing on the left.Kyle Walker playing that far up the pitch leaving big holes on the right side of the defence,which has cost us goals against Arsenal(FA Cup Semi Final),Lyon(CL),Leicester City and now Spuds.Rodri not good enough in that DM role,Marhez just right off it so weak on the ball.Play the double pivot in midfield against the better team,let them come on to us and hit them on the break.The opposition always seem to score on there first attack.Subs used to late.The system needs changing they worked us out 18 months ago

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.