Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

No defensive mid in the world should be letting that pass happen. Aurier has so much time because Rodri wasn't in position. If Rodri is there where he should be the pass doesn't get made and the mistakes don't compound. Of course Laporte shouldn't lose his head and push on, Cancello should have anticipated Son's run and Ederson maybe shouldn't have rushed out even though someone had to at least try and narrow the angle. It's a terrible goal to give away all around. An absolute nightmare. But Rodri is as culpable as the rest of them.
I sense you’ve made your mind up on this one though I can’t see how you apportion equal blame to Rodri, I’ve seen it plenty of times now maybe you should watch it again. Rodri takes up exactly the position he should as a defensive midfielder in that area in front of the back line but not on top of them. Not enough pressure, or maybe not quick enough from Bernardo (who is perhaps beaten too easily) and KDB who are closer to Ndombele than Rodri.

No defensive mid in the world should be letting that pass happen ?? He can’t be just in front of the defence and ahead of the other midfielders!! Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree on this one!

Yesterday's loss was worrying. Firstly because Spurs played exceptionally well. They were a typical Mourinho team but they played his style better than any team has for many years. Harry Kane was easily the best player on the pitch and gave a performance of which I did not believe he was capable. I did not believe he was at all a Mourinho player but I have to admit that PEG has got him playing all over the pitch and he certainly changed my opinion of him. Beating Spurs last night would have been a tall order for any team at any time - and they got better as the match progressed, which was something else I would never have expected. The simple fact was that City were second best for much of last night's game and this is something that has never really happened for some considerable time.

Explaining why we are not as good as we were is beyond me. I think we haven't solved the problem of a deep lying midfielder - Rodri is an excellent player but he is not a replacement for Ferna. Ferna is not just a great player but he has that essential dose of cynicism so necessary. Few on here liked Neville's comment about the dark arts, but it was a genuine compliment and he pointed out at that all great sides needed it. Last night Ferna would never have turned his back on that free kick and he would have made sure it was not taken quickly or at all until we were in position. He would have stood over the ball to delay the free kick and that goal would not have been scored. Cancelo's positional play was poor to allow the pass "over the top" and Eddie was too far out. These were costly mistakes but I cannot accept some of the ludicrous comments made about Eddie on the goalkeepers thread.

The second goal was very well made and taken and this does highlight a problem in breaking down counter attacks which has been a problem against better teams for some time. This is not the fault of Kyle Walker or any other individual. Who do we trust to remedy the fault? A new manager? A panicky critic from bluemoon? Or Pep Guardiola, the man who remedied such a fault in 2016?
For the goal Cancelo did seem a little preoccupied with the oncoming player wide right which (maybe in hindsight) certainly didn’t represent as great a threat as Son darting in between him and Laporte. I also think Laporte was most culpable by being sucked into Kane and allowing the space in behind him.

Agree with a lot of this post though!

LOL, I can't believe people who can't face the truth and see reality.

We are crap and underperforming.

The little fella Ole over the road has got his team above us and they have been appealing all season, that should tell you how far we have fallen and if your satisfied with that, good on you, well done.
I never said I'm satisfied with the performances but it isn't anywhere near as bad as you think. It's still early on in the season & we have everything to play for. I'll give you a prediction, come the new year we will be top 2 & in contention.

I never said I'm satisfied with the performances but it isn't anywhere near as bad as you think. It's still early on in the season & we have everything to play for. I'll give you a prediction, come the new year we will be top 2 & in contention.

We are on minus 1 goal difference and only won 3 of our 8 games, how is this not near as bad as you think?

It is a fucking awful start to the season.

I worry that the prem has moved on from counter hoof ball to possesion based football to back to the counter attacking based football again. And we havn't adapted. Rodgers and Mourinho with players like Vardy and Kane know this is an almost guarenteed 3 points agisnt us. Not just us they aren't afraid to play like this against the lesser teams who aren't nowhere near as cabable as us in attacking.

When they attack it's fast paced, blistering smash n grab. When attacked they've flooded their own box yet they don't seem to need an 11 man attack to stil...attack.

When we attack we are forced into passing it aimlessly until taking a pop with zero momentum and it's far to easy to defend against.

I have no soluton though?
You play the same way, and draw them out.

It's working for spurs...
Would you rather us continue to play possession based aimless passing and fight for top 6 or more direct and be in the hunt for the title?
"Football" is evolving. And at the minute we are getting left behind.
I'd say football is regressing rather than evolving if parking the bus is a prime tactic. Though I don't deny it can be successful.

I sense you’ve made your mind up on this one though I can’t see how you apportion equal blame to Rodri, I’ve seen it plenty of times now maybe you should watch it again. Rodri takes up exactly the position he should as a defensive midfielder in that area in front of the back line but not on top of them. Not enough pressure, or maybe not quick enough from Bernardo (who is perhaps beaten too easily) and KDB who are closer to Ndombele than Rodri.

No defensive mid in the world should be letting that pass happen ?? He can’t be just in front of the defence and ahead of the other midfielders!! Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree on this one!

I see what you mean, Woody.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. But that's football, it's a game of opinions! Although I do concede to a lot of what you say, I just think A DM should have a nose to sniff out that danger and not allow the pass!

The spine of kompany Silva Fernandinho Aguero has gone. City have some top players but we need that spark back.
Yep, we lost our spine, and we've effectively completely depended on Kev to fill that void.

Not just on the pitch, losing Kompany and Silva (possibly even Arteta and Yaya) hurt the leadership in the dresser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.