Spurs Thread - 2021/22

Levy playing the old we where in for them but other clubs came in last minute and gazumped us,probably make a token signing to try and appease both conte and the fans but he’ll be ecstatic once that window closes,wouldn’t blame conte if he pulled the plug and fucked off..

Spurs invest the lowest percentage of their available money into their squad in the Prem. Spurs fans should be asking questions about that!

Levy does this every other transfer window. Gets to the last week, and suddenly they are involved in the transfer market. SSN and the media in general tell us what a shrewd operator he is but I don't see the sense in it.

I believe Utd are going to get 4th now because they can't possibly be as bad in the 2nd half of the season as they have been in the first but the 4th spot is relatively wide open and I you would have thought a Spurs or west Ham might have been working on some transfer plan for some time but no they leave everything until the last 72 hours.

It's hard to believe that Premier League football clubs are run this badly.

That was a fair call at the time.

1. Poch was okay with the idea of signing Grealish but didn't especially want him. So no surprise that Levy wasn't prepared to go balls deep.
2. No other club was in for him at the time at that price.
3. Grealish had just had a great season in the Championship but was largely unproven at PL level.
4. Given all of which, Spurs' bid of £20m was a lot at the time.
5. And Spurs did eventually agree a deal with Villa at £20m. But it was called off a day or two later when Villa were taken over.

As to this transfer window, it has indeed been a bit of a shambles thus far. But not because Levy is being tight. It's because both Traore and Luiz preferred other clubs. Entirely understandable in both cases. But, yes, very disappointing - especially missing out on Luiz.

Spurs are supposedly still expecting three in and quite a few out over the next couple of days. Mostly loans. I'm not especially enamoured by the names being linked - a number of Juve squad players. A tad underwhelming.
Apologies, couldn’t help but laugh out loud at your post.

I’m convinced that one reason other clubs seek to persecute us is that it deflects from their continued mismanagement. That said, simply buying players now to appease fans/new managers makes little sense if the intention is to change and work instead to a plan.

I’m convinced that one reason other clubs seek to persecute us is that it deflects from their continued mismanagement. That said, simply buying players now to appease fans/new managers makes little sense if the intention is to change and work instead to a plan.
I agree they should be working to a long term plan but when you are well placed and have games in hand and a new coach who seems to have made an impact, then you'd imagine that you would accelerate long standing plans. They don't seem to have any whereas clubs like City and Liverpool do. Newcastle are in a desperate situation and seem to have signed or be very close to signing Guimaraes for a fee that Spurs could have met.

I agree they should be working to a long term plan but when you are well placed and have games in hand and a new coach who seems to have made an impact, then you'd imagine that you would accelerate long standing plans. They don't seem to have any whereas clubs like City and Liverpool do. Newcastle are in a desperate situation and seem to have signed or be very close to signing Guimaraes for a fee that Spurs could have met.
Yet throwing money around to appease people is one of the reasons they’re well placed rather than in the top four, where they arguably should be when Arsenal and that lot are all at sea.

Conte has only been there since November 1st and will know that it’s difficult to get the optimal players in the winter window. Far better to work with what he has until May and then see which players are suited to his system.

Another problem that Spurs have is that they’re in a position to spend big, but that just means their fans become picky about potential signings and then über critical when they flop. They need players that lead to them consistently finishing 4th for the next five seasons and growing that way. Instead, many think they can bypass that development stage with a couple of ‘flashy’ signings.

Something of a cliche but the January window, especially, is very tricky. It's only in the last few days that it starts to open up.

Agreed, Spurs could have gone for Guimaraes. But it seems they preferred Bentancur - who is the same age and who has greater experience in a better league and at international level.

Levy does this every other transfer window. Gets to the last week, and suddenly they are involved in the transfer market. SSN and the media in general tell us what a shrewd operator he is but I don't see the sense in it.

I believe Utd are going to get 4th now because they can't possibly be as bad in the 2nd half of the season as they have been in the first but the 4th spot is relatively wide open and I you would have thought a Spurs or west Ham might have been working on some transfer plan for some time but no they leave everything until the last 72 hours.

Spurs are in a position here that could set them up for the next decade.

They’ve got the stadium, they’ve got the training ground, they’re in London, they're got the money behind them/income, they’ve got a proper manager for once, [like you say] fourth spot is wide open this season and is there for any of those teams who really want it…

If Spurs could take fourth spot, they are probably in the best position of any team in that group to move up a level or two and start to regularly get into Top4 and cement CL every season for a while. You never know what could come off the back of that.

But their board lacks the serious ambition for this. You can see it clear as day.

Ndombele (record signing), Gil and Lo Celso (neither cheap), and Alli, who three years ago would have cost us 100 million, apparently all out the door. That is a simply staggering level of mismanagement.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.