St Louis review

gymshoe said:
I attended the match in St Louis last night. City supporters were outnumbered by Chelsea at least 10-1, and probably much greater. That was at the start of the evening, anyway. The attendance set a Busch Stadium record for a sporting event, and at the end of the evening, City earned a whole new crowd of support, or at least respect. The talent on display was immense. Even though it was a friendly, the intensity exhibited by both teams was truly appreciated by the fans, and throughout my section, all soccer fans--City, Chelsea, and Neutral--were commenting on the City run of play. I am certain a whole new generation of support for City was initiated last night.

The only downside was my inflatable banana was banned ;^) All in all, a top drawer evening.

Cheers gymshoe. I have to admit i was naively amazed at all the Chelsea shirts, have they promoted themselves much over there in the last 10 years?

Just a question for Gymshoe (as he used the term Soccer)

Do Yourself or Americans you know not feel embarrassed that the vast majority of humans on this planet refer to the sport City play as Football, whereas Americans tend to use the term football when referring to something else (NFL) ?

When I've spoken about the sport over in USA I've always used the word Football, and always will do.

Soccer can go fuck itself :)

the goats backside said:
Cheers gymshoe. I have to admit i was naively amazed at all the Chelsea shirts, have they promoted themselves much over there in the last 10 years?

Chelsea have good support in St Louis, as well as a pub they can claim as "home" called Amsterdams, which sent 2 coaches to the match. Call me optimistic, but the crown was truly inspired by our Blue's effort. Methinks this could be the start of growing support in "The Loo". There was also a significant number of Liverpool shirts, which caused me to check for my wallet a few times. And when I returned to my car, I still had a car stereo, so that was good, too. But again, EVERYONE was talking City after the match.

Why Always Ste said:

Do Yourself or Americans you know not feel embarrassed that the vast majority of humans on this planet refer to the sport City play as Football, whereas Americans tend to use the term football when referring to something else (NFL) ?

When I've spoken about the sport over in USA I've always used the word Football, and always will do.

Sir--I am acutely aware of the term "Football" vs "Soccer", and often call American Football "Throwball". Embarrassed? Not in the least. Soccer, for better or worse, is the coin of the realm here. NFL is so huge here, no matter world popularity of football, that real football cannot overtake it in any degree throwball.

When I talk football with worldly football supporters, I use the term football. When referencing American soccer fans, I felt it proper to use that term. Didn't mean to offend--have fun!

gymshoe said:
Why Always Ste said:

Sir--I am acutely aware of the term "Football" vs "Soccer", and often call American Football "Throwball". Embarrassed? Not in the least. Soccer, for better or worse, is the coin of the realm here. NFL is so huge here, no matter world popularity of football, that real football cannot overtake it in any degree throwball.

When I talk football with worldly football supporters, I use the term football. When referencing American soccer fans, I felt it proper to use that term. Didn't mean to offend--have fun!

Good come back - Back to Why Always Ste

gymshoe said:
Why Always Ste said:

The word "soccer" did of course originate in England to distinguish the game from another form of egg-chasing - rugby football.

gymshoe said:
Why Always Ste said:

You didn't offend the majority gymshoe- only "Why always Ste" who is still taking the funny pills.

Where did I say I was offended?

I was not offended by him or anyone using this term, that's their choice to do so, which is why I posed a question with regards to how he and other Americans felt when using this word.

I don't use the term "soccer" and will continue to use the term Football when referring to Association Football.

I do find it quite daft how they have named the new club NYC FC however, when most Americans use the term Soccer... shouldn't they of called the team NYC S.C ?

Just a thought...

gymshoe said:
I attended the match in St Louis last night. City supporters were outnumbered by Chelsea at least 10-1, and probably much greater. That was at the start of the evening, anyway. The attendance set a Busch Stadium record for a sporting event, and at the end of the evening, City earned a whole new crowd of support, or at least respect. The talent on display was immense. Even though it was a friendly, the intensity exhibited by both teams was truly appreciated by the fans, and throughout my section, all soccer fans--City, Chelsea, and Neutral--were commenting on the City run of play. I am certain a whole new generation of support for City was initiated last night.

The only downside was my inflatable banana was banned ;^) All in all, a top drawer evening.

I hope the banana didnt feel too let down. ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.