Starting a youth football team – Advice

U15s/16s is a difficult age...this is when a lot of teams that have been together for years start to fold...lads start drinking, shagging etc and thus start letting you down..fair play to you though for thinking of giving it a go but you could be letting yourself in for a whole load of aggravation...as mentioned you will need a few quid a minimum of a grand and that is if you can scrounge a kit if not make that £1500 even if you approached an established club they would likely say no thanks because they would end up picking the bill up if it didn't last especially if you approach them with no money of your own to throw in

Bluebee2 said:
It would be really hard to start an independent under 16's football team. Look at speaking to a club in your area, Avro, Failsworth Town, Failsworth Dynamo's, or one of the Moston clubs they are all decent clubs. Unless you have a few quid to spare it will be expensive to run without money from elsewhere, there are no grants for boys football only girls. To get a pitch would cost £700, kit £600, refs £25 a home game, FA affiliation and league fees it all adds up.[/quot
dont forget Failsworth West ;)
the area has a lot of teams already established,from the kiddies to the teenagers and joining one of these will give you the help and support you need.

you can still make a difference but it will be easier than starting from scratch.

big blueballs said:
U15s/16s is a difficult age...this is when a lot of teams that have been together for years start to fold...lads start drinking, shagging etc and thus start letting you down..fair play to you though for thinking of giving it a go but you could be letting yourself in for a whole load of aggravation...as mentioned you will need a few quid a minimum of a grand and that is if you can scrounge a kit if not make that £1500 even if you approached an established club they would likely say no thanks because they would end up picking the bill up if it didn't last especially if you approach them with no money of your own to throw in

Got to agree with lad. i was involved with setting a team up years ago and all the lads was working but still cost us a fortune. And you get no help off the league all they want to do is fine you for any small offence ie no corner flags short of players. but after saying all of this we had a great time so good luck if you do it.

Are Newton heath juniors still going?If so i'd get in touch with them. My old man was one of the original people to set it up many years ago, they were always looking for people to help run teams etc and if its still going I can't see it being any different as it hard finding good people to give up their time. He retired some years ago due to the amount of time it was taking up and I remember they used to beg money from everywhere such as sport england, eu grants, local council etc although reading previous post it looks like you might have your work cut out. I did read sometime ago that the fa was trying to make it easier to set up football clubs as they were on the decline due to costs, and stuff like police check, having more than one adult in car when taking kids home etc. Anyway all the best I know my Dad used to love it especially when the reward is seeing some of the kids go on and make it.
Anyway

I set up an open age team once-and we were shite.
There used to be grants available via barclays bank, although that may have been cause they were the prem league backer at that time. There may be lottery funding although im unsure on that.
Like others have said the costs can run to approx £1000 (and thats doing it on the cheap) One way is to see if local companies may want to help out.
Anyone that works with the Kids will need CRB checks. Also the FA run training courses for potential managers/coaches.
Would imagine that transport to away games may be trickey as well.
May be worth seeing if there is any 7 a side leagues they/you could join. A cheaper alternative and easier to sort out.
Oh, and like others have said,get a decent keeper, its no fun getting hammered each week:)

Good advice there - Thanks

looks like throwing my cards in with an existing clb is my only option. i work full time - 10 hours day usually - My time is limited and it looks like going alone from scratch is a non starter

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.