Steph Houghton MBE To Retire At End Of 2023/24 Season

Yep definitely, I wasn't knocking her, i just found it a bit strange that if she is fully fit, that she's not been in the team more this season
I think she knew she'd gone past it for the level we were/are aspiring too, and our defence is currently the best in the league, having conceded only 11 in 17 games.

She hasn't complained or asked to move, an example to some of those that have left, and those who haven't yet.

To my mind the best female footballer ever, not just for City but for England as well.
A true City legend. We should grant her a statue. If we can do it for the men we should be able to do it for legendary women as well.

Not just a great footballer but a real icon. She deserves a Damehood. She looks after her husband but never makes a fuss. Just quietly gets on with both her football and her private life.
Thank you Steph, enjoy your retirement. All the very best.

She is not only a great player but she's a great person too and it'll be sad to see her retire from playing.

Good luck Steph, i hope you stay involved in the club.

A sad day but we all knew it has been coming. Thought it might have been at the end of last season but I'm guessing stuck around for another year due to all the other departures. An absolute class act that has helped shape the direction of the women's game in England. Not only as our leader but that of the country for so long too. Fully deserving of the plaudits she will receive. Wish her nothing but the best in whatever direction she chooses but hope she's not lost to the game and comes back in some capacity. That clip of her coaching the kids shows she has the capacity to make it in that role if she desires and I hope the club helps her with that if it's the way she wants to go.

Good luck Steph & thank you!

Fantastic professional and leader for club and Country for 10 years with us. Had an awful injury in an achilles tendon rupture at exactly the wrong time, robbing her of a last dance with England and slowing her down just enough to allow father time to catch her up. That omission from the England squad and her husbands diagnosis were a real kick in the teeth both personally and professionally that she handled so well.

She's grafted so hard to get back to her former level but never quite been the same. She's lost a yard in a sprint which is crucial as a centre half chasing after young whippets, particularly with our high line. That and Greenwoods form with Ouhabi have meant her playing time has been really restricted. Nobody is forgetting 2016 where she lead the back four to only concede 4 all league season of which 3 were penalties and lift the title. I'm hoping the girls can emulate that feat as a final bow for her.

Has so much to offer from an experience and leadership perspective that surely she would be a great coaching asset for the womens game should she want it.

Congrats Steph on a great career. Take some time out with friends and family but I feel footballs in this Durham girls blood and she won't stay away too long. I'm hoping there's a place for her at the Academy.

Steph was one of the big players when I started taking an interest in the Women’s game.
She will not be forgotten by us.
Maybe this thread should be on the main forum ?
I don't think so. This sort of story is the whole reason we have a specific womens' forum. Otherwise, it could easily get swamped in the main forum. People who are aware of the layout of the forum will know where to look to find the thread specific to Steph retiring. Or indeed, any thread relating to any of the City women.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.