sterling

Should be fine. You'll get the odd moan probably but nowt more, though it is true that no one has to accept it.

Prestwich_Blue said:
foolsgold* said:
yes. as long as it says sterling on it then the shop keepers have no option but to accept.
Not true. In fact strictly speaking, Scottish notes are not even legal tender in Scotland. They have every right to refuse but the vast majority don't.

I never heard that one before care to explain it ?

EDIT: Never i've checked it myself there on par with cheques, or debit or credit cards which aren't classed as legal tender either.

Challenger1978 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Not true. In fact strictly speaking, Scottish notes are not even legal tender in Scotland. They have every right to refuse but the vast majority don't.

I never heard that one before care to explain it ?
From the Bank of England website:
Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales.
The term legal tender does not in itself govern the acceptability of banknotes in transactions. Whether or not notes have legal tender status, their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt.

And from another website:
All Scottish banks have the right to print their own notes. Three choose to do so: The Bank of Scotland (founded 1695), The Royal Bank of Scotland (founded 1727) and the Clydesdale Bank (owned by National Australia Bank). Only the Royal Bank prints pound notes. All the banks print 5,10,20 and 100 notes. Only the Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank print 50 pound notes.

Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes of denomination less than 5UKP were legal tender in Scotland under Currency and Bank Notes Act 1954. Now, with the removal of BoE 1UKP notes, only coins constitute legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes are only legal tender in England, Wales, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. In Scotland, 1 pound coins are legal tender to any amount, 20ps and 50ps are legal tender up to 10 pounds; 10p and 5ps to 5 pounds and 2p and 1p coins are legal tender to 20p (separately or in combination). 2 pounds coins and (if you can get hold of one) 5 pound coins are also legal tender to unlimited amounts, as are gold coins of the realm at face value (in Scotland at least).

I'd change it at a bank as soon as possible if I were you. I'd understand anyone refusing to accept it, I mean who the fuck knows what one of the many varieties of Scottish fivers is supposed to look like?

Well i work in the trafford centre and their rule is you have to accept them as long as they have a watermark and say sterling on it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.