Stoke chairman defends their tactics.

RyantheBlue said:
Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
RyantheBlue said:
The rags have an oddly versatile view which helps them IMO.
They're seen as physical, whilst being seen as a footballing team, explains why they do get a bit of leniency IMO. Teams like us and Arsenal don't get ANYTHING on the 50/50's, teams like Stoke and Everton dominate those decisions, I reckon the rags fall around the middle.
Okay, what you're saying is the refs, who depend on football for a living, penalise teams like City and Arsenal that attract people to football, whilst bending over backwards for teams that would turn people away from the game?

It's not quite so conscious is what I'm saying. Obviously if the refs were thinking about it so consciously it'd be a VERY odd way to officiate.

I just think that when a crowd like Stoke's is there, and Stoke are flying around with hard challenges the ref is more likely to subconsciously let them off because he knows they're based around a physical game.
I actually think that what I attributed to you is true. Take that ref against liverpool in the first semi-final at the Ethad. He kept giving us free-kicks but failed to book their players. He thought he was doing a good job by not yellow-carding anyone, but what he was actually doing was allowing the victims to stop us building any momentum and thereby allowing a team of cheats and long-ball merchants stop a team that plays attractive football. Refs are fucking pricks and cowards, as that game against the victims and tonight's have amply demonstrated.

Neville Kneville said:
RyantheBlue said:
Okay, what you're saying is the refs, who depend on football for a living, penalise teams like City and Arsenal that attract people to football, whilst bending over backwards for teams that would turn people away from the game?

It's not quite so conscious is what I'm saying. Obviously if the refs were thinking about it so consciously it'd be a VERY odd way to officiate.

I just think that when a crowd like Stoke's is there, and Stoke are flying around with hard challenges the ref is more likely to subconsciously let them off because he knows they're based around a physical game.

They used to let Wimbledon get away with murder for the same reason.

As for the scum though, refs are just scared to give too many decisions against them, end of story.

I don't think the crowd at Old Trafford helps if I'm honest.
Let's be fair, refs are still human and that's definitely shown in the way that teams receive MANY more decisions at home than they do away.
Old Trafford holds 70 odd thousand rags, enough to let out one hell of a whinge when a decision doesn't go their way.

It's not right, of course it isn't.

Its annoying, but you have to play to your strengths in this league or else you will be fucked off down to the Championship sharpish. The only thing about the way they play that I completely disagree with is the climbing and pushing that refs allow Crouch to get away with, its ludicrous at times.

Simple as this really, they were better than us Saturday. I was happy we managed to salvage a point after we had fallen behind but I cant hand on heart say we deserved any more than that.

RyantheBlue said:

I actually think that what I attributed to you is true. Take that ref against liverpool in the first semi-final at the Ethad. He kept giving us free-kicks but failed to book their players. He thought he was doing a good job by not yellow-carding anyone, but what he was actually doing was allowing the victims to stop us building any momentum and thereby allowing a team of cheats and long-ball merchants stop a team that plays attractive football. Refs are fucking pricks and cowards, as that game against the victims and tonight's have amply demonstrated.

What did you attribute to me again?

Booing Silva pretty much puts it into perspective really i hate going there and i hate the way they play, okay they don't have loads of money and whatever and i like a team that fights and are physical with it but there is ways to do that, take the likes of Swansea, Norwich, Wigan etc they fight but play football with it. Stoke don't get away with and play like the do at The Britanna because it's like a 12th man and influences decisions. In a way i wish we would start trying to play it into our hands and start going down easy and winning free kicks, other teams seem to get away with it

You play the hand you're dealt! Stoke play to their strengths & as long as its within the laws of the game, I've got no problems with it.

We're in the Premiership NOT La Liga thus we know we're gonna come up against ale house teams like Stoke. If we can't cope with that then tough shit, we've no god given right to win or complain when teams play to their strengths & not to ours.

Valencia didn't complain, they just got on with the task at hand, played passing football & soundly beat Stoke. There's a lesson to be learned there because I was less concerned about Stoke's Raggamuffin tactics on Saturday & more concerned by our ability to cope with them unlike Valencia.....

City just didn't perform,nothing to do with Stokes tactics,we have played them before,we know what to expect,we just didn't deal with it,that's a fault of ours not theirs.

Dribble said:
You play the hand you're dealt! Stoke play to their strengths & as long as its within the laws of the game, I've got no problems with it.

We're in the Premiership NOT La Liga thus we know we're gonna come up against ale house teams like Stoke. If we can't cope with that then tough shit, we've no god given right to win or complain when teams play to their strengths & not to ours.

Valencia didn't complain, they just got on with the task at hand, played passing football & soundly beat Stoke. There's a lesson to be learned there because I was less concerned about Stoke's Raggamuffin tactics on Saturday & more concerned by our ability to cope with them unlike Valencia.....

One difference, a European (non-English) referee. They are brilliant, that Porto home game was the best refereeing display i have ever seen. Do you know that guys name? I don't. Referee's should not be celebrities like they are in England.

mcfc_brazil said:
Booing Silva pretty much puts it into perspective really i hate going there and i hate the way they play, okay they don't have loads of money and whatever and i like a team that fights and are physical with it but there is ways to do that, take the likes of Swansea, Norwich, Wigan etc they fight but play football with it. Stoke don't get away with and play like the do at The Britanna because it's like a 12th man and influences decisions. In a way i wish we would start trying to play it into our hands and start going down easy and winning free kicks, other teams seem to get away with it

You taking the piss?

Crouch 10m
Palacios 8m
Jones 8m
Huth 5m
Tuncay 5m

That's close to 40m right there. They've spent over 55m in 4 years (that's net spend too). If that's all you can serve up for 55m then you're a shite fucking manager.

Teams like Stoke are one reason why England has the best league from top to bottom in my opinion. From the bit I see of Spains league, everyone tries to play like Barcelona and the poorer teams know their place and are happy to play a bit of football and get beat 5-2 by them.

I don't give a fuck if Manchini does or doesn't want to talk to the tele afterwards but I'm disapointed if he didn't shake hands with Pullis.

I used to love it in the 80's when Wimbledon would upset Liverpool and Dalglish would be crying like a baby afterwards about their tactics and roughing up his precious little darlings.

I wouldn't like to think people see us as todays equivilant of Liverpool back then.

Although I'd put up with it if we won what they did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.