Stoke - the tipping point

Skibum

The last few seasons Fergiescum has made a point of stressing the importance of the Stoke away game for them.

I think it is now the same for us.

Both teams will be going into it full of confidence, us having got the knack of winning away from home and Stoke getting past the dodgy refereeing decisions and winning 3 on the trot.

If you beat Stoke away then it sends out a clear message to the rest of the league that being we can't be bullied and are strong enough to stand up to the physical challenge. Last season we couldn't beat them away from home.

3 points at Stoke will then set us up for the rest of the games until the New Year and I can't see why we can't get maximum points from the fixtures ahead. Lose at Stoke and it will be like starting all over again with the Bolton game a battle for fourth rather than potentially going 2nd or 3rd.

They will possible have Pennant out through injury. This is key as they like to use both wingers to get crosses into the box for Jones and Fuller. We will be without Zab but I'd play Boateng not Richards as he defends the crosses better. Micah has a bad habit of allowing the cross to come over which is very dangerous versus Stoke.

They're my thoughts. A key game.

Come on City!

That for me will be harder than Fulham, Stoke had a tremendous win at West Brom, they will be harder to break down, our lads have to be at least as up for that one as they were at Fulham, Fulham are going backwards, just above the relegation zone, Stoke aren't, they will be a tougher proposition, we can be sure of that!

It's a strange feeling to go into away games with such confidence. Under Hughes and Sven we were so weak away from home, and a year or so ago I would be dreading a trip to Stoke. Still an extremely tough place to go and win but we should all be confident we can do it.

Skibum said:
The last few seasons Fergiescum has made a point of stressing the importance of the Stoke away game for them.

Both teams will be going into it full of confidence, us having got the knack of winning away from home and Stoke getting past the dodgy refereeing decisions and winninig 3 on the trot.

If you beat Stoke away then it sends out a clear message to the rest of the league that being we can't be bullied and are strong enough to stand up to the physical challenge. Last season we couldn't beat them away from home.

3 points at Stoke will then set us up for the rest of the games until the New Year and I can't see why we can't get maximum points from the fixtures ahead. Lose at Stoke and it will be like starting all over again with the Bolton game a battle for fourth rather than potentially going 2nd or 3rd.

They will possible have Pennant out through injury. This is key as they like to use both wingers to get crosses into the box for Jones and Fuller. We will be without Zab but I'd play Boateng not Richards as he defends the crosses better. Micah has a bad habit of allowing the cross to come over which is very dangerous versus Stoke.

Come on City!
It's a real puzzle this with Richards.What has happened to his alleged heading ability? I remember years ago when he first broke through,Distin saying he has a fantastic leap and can't be beaten in the air.Is it because his upper body is that much heavier now?

My point is, if we can beat Chelsea away (we did last season) and Stoke away then we will fear nobody. Our only challenge remaining will be beating teams that park the bus.<br /><br />-- Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:00 pm --<br /><br />
anymore than 2sheiks said:
Skibum said:

Both teams will be going into it full of confidence, us having got the knack of winning away from home and Stoke getting past the dodgy refereeing decisions and winninig 3 on the trot.

Come on City!
It's a real puzzle this with Richards.What has happened to his alleged heading ability? I remember years ago when he first broke through,Distin saying he has a fantastic leap and can't be beaten in the air.Is it because his upper body is that much heavier now?

I was alluding to his inability to stop the ball being crossed in, not his ability to head a ball. He must be heavier though as you say.

The main point of my post was that we shouldn't underestimate the significance of an away win v Stoke and the message it sends out to the league. If we can beat Chelsea away (last season) and Stoke (hopefully on sat) then who will we fear - nobody?

If and it's a big if, if we beat Stoke then the only challenge remaining is to beat teams that set up to park the proverbial bus.

Skibum said:
My point is, if we can beat Chelsea away (we did last season) and Stoke away then we will fear nobody. Our only challenge remaining will be beating teams that park the bus.

Agree with that. A win away at Stoke is I think a real statement - brilliant though we were yesterday we are always going to find it easier to play against footballing teams like Blackpool and Fulham than we are alehouse teams like Stoke. That said, anyone who out-muscles Chelsea can't be a bunch of pussies because they are a very muscular team.

We have beaten ourselves up about the last 2 home games, but Chelsea's defeat on Saturday should put it into some sort of perspective - Birmingham have now kept out City and Chelsea in sccessive games, which you have to give some credit to. United came with a gameplan to get a draw, which they did, but there aren't many places they will go to where their ambition is simply not to get beaten.

Slowly, but surely, it is coming together.

Kinky Dribbler said:
It's a strange feeling to go into away games with such confidence. Under Hughes and Sven we were so weak away from home, and a year or so ago I would be dreading a trip to Stoke. Still an extremely tough place to go and win but we should all be confident we can do it.
this is one of the principle amnesias among our fans, how we basically were hopeless away until Mancini came in, in fact, City have never really been that good away, even when we were good, our away form has been a problem, I agree with you, we can get the away wins now, you have to think that we will have enough in the tank to beat Stoke.

Stoke mauled Liverpool at home recently. They are extremely difficult to beat at their stadium, they play physical and high tempo as we know, but their actual football on the ground has improved significantly. I would love a win over them but would not be gutted with a draw.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.