Stoke - the tipping point

Danamy said:
knypethestokie said:
Whilst you can chew on Sour Grapes....

Don't take it personally mate as i hate you all the same......................come here and i'll make you squeal like a pig boy!!!

Yawn........
Just another wannabe Gangstaaarrr :).....You are a Red!

MysticalDescent said:
What did you all make of it then?

First half you looked no different to last year, completely unenthusiastic about the prospect of playing in a hostile atmosphere in the cold weather. I suppose it didn't help that the state of the pitch prevented either team being able to produce an accurate pass in certain regions of the pitch, but I was expecting better. We really, really should have gone in a good 2 or 3 goals up at half time and the game should have been dead. I'm actually genuinely disappointed that we didn't make the most of our first half dominance and only came away with a draw.

Obviously the second half was a completely different affair and we really struggled to get out momentum back or get the ball off you. I thought Tevez had a good game for your lot, but your man of the match must surely be either de Jong or Kompany, although how they got away with some of their aerial challenges on Jones considering the number of stupid free-kicks the referee gave against Stoke forwards, I'll never know. Kompany always impresses against us, mind, he's a damn good player.

A draw was probably a fair result on reflection. We're disappointed not to have put the game to bed in the first half, while you'll be likely to focus on your second half performance. That said, I can recall quite a few very good chances that we had, but I'm struggling to think of more than two clear cut chances you had, not counting shots from outside the box. How ANYBODY can criticise our football after watching Man City tippy-tappy the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes at a time is beyond me. It's absolutely baffling that you waste so much time in your own half when with a bit more intent you could probably have had a good go at overwhelming us at the back.

Mancini does your club no credit either. Last season, Alan Wiley had a decent go at refereeing the game fairly in the first half, although he did give rather a few dubious decisions your way. At half time, he followed Wiley all the way back into the referee's dressing room and in the second half he gave you absolutely everything, including chalking off a perfectly good goal. Again, today, the first half sees a referee that gives some ludicrous decisions against Stoke and in your favour (including the 'look how hard I am, I'll give a foul throw against Delap but let Manchester City take their throw-ins wherever and however they feel like' bit), only for Mancini and Kidd to hound him into the tunnel. Second half, the referee's performance changes as he gives more decisions in your favour. It's not right and it reflects poorly on you as a football club. Makes you no better than that lot up the road.

P.S. Balotelli - how much did you pay for him? I know Robinho disappeared in the winter, but this guy really does rather take the biscuit, what a girl.
Ive never known a crowd get into a frenzy when given a throw in nearly on the half way line... To watch that every fortnight would make you think of jumping off motorway bridges..

DTKOAG said:
MysticalDescent said:

First half you looked no different to last year, completely unenthusiastic about the prospect of playing in a hostile atmosphere in the cold weather. I suppose it didn't help that the state of the pitch prevented either team being able to produce an accurate pass in certain regions of the pitch, but I was expecting better. We really, really should have gone in a good 2 or 3 goals up at half time and the game should have been dead. I'm actually genuinely disappointed that we didn't make the most of our first half dominance and only came away with a draw.

Obviously the second half was a completely different affair and we really struggled to get out momentum back or get the ball off you. I thought Tevez had a good game for your lot, but your man of the match must surely be either de Jong or Kompany, although how they got away with some of their aerial challenges on Jones considering the number of stupid free-kicks the referee gave against Stoke forwards, I'll never know. Kompany always impresses against us, mind, he's a damn good player.

A draw was probably a fair result on reflection. We're disappointed not to have put the game to bed in the first half, while you'll be likely to focus on your second half performance. That said, I can recall quite a few very good chances that we had, but I'm struggling to think of more than two clear cut chances you had, not counting shots from outside the box. How ANYBODY can criticise our football after watching Man City tippy-tappy the ball around in their own half for 15 minutes at a time is beyond me. It's absolutely baffling that you waste so much time in your own half when with a bit more intent you could probably have had a good go at overwhelming us at the back.

Mancini does your club no credit either. Last season, Alan Wiley had a decent go at refereeing the game fairly in the first half, although he did give rather a few dubious decisions your way. At half time, he followed Wiley all the way back into the referee's dressing room and in the second half he gave you absolutely everything, including chalking off a perfectly good goal. Again, today, the first half sees a referee that gives some ludicrous decisions against Stoke and in your favour (including the 'look how hard I am, I'll give a foul throw against Delap but let Manchester City take their throw-ins wherever and however they feel like' bit), only for Mancini and Kidd to hound him into the tunnel. Second half, the referee's performance changes as he gives more decisions in your favour. It's not right and it reflects poorly on you as a football club. Makes you no better than that lot up the road.

P.S. Balotelli - how much did you pay for him? I know Robinho disappeared in the winter, but this guy really does rather take the biscuit, what a girl.
Ive never known a crowd get into a frenzy when given a throw in nearly on the half way line... To watch that every fortnight would make you think of jumping off motorway bridges..

Oh come on, you'd love to spend millions on getting Delap in your team. For Manchester City, getting the ball on the halfway-line means that you've gone too far forward and need to pass it backwards. For Stoke, it means you've got a goalscoring opportunity.

Really, if Stoke started playing that sort of anti-progressive, mind-numbing tippy-tappy in our own half, I think I'd give up. If that's the 'better football' that the media want us to play, they can get stuffed. It's not them who has to watch it, after all, they're far more interested in dining in the same restaurants as footballers.

DTKOAG said:
MysticalDescent said:

Or a away crowd getting so excited whilst the back 4 neanderthals played keep ball whilst starving quality players of the ball.....

MysticalDescent said:
DTKOAG said:

Oh come on, you'd love to spend millions on getting Delap in your team. For Manchester City, getting the ball on the halfway-line means that you've gone too far forward and need to pass it backwards. For Stoke, it means you've got a goalscoring opportunity.

Really, if Stoke started playing that sort of anti-progressive, mind-numbing tippy-tappy in our own half, I think I'd give up. If that's the 'better football' that the media want us to play, they can get stuffed. It's not them who has to watch it, after all, they're far more interested in dining in the same restaurants as footballers.
Ever fancied Rugby League ?

An entire crowd booing when an opposition side passes the ball on the floor, as though it was witchcraft or something? And he calls our players neanderthals? Oh the irony.
Probably a similar reaction when the first caveman discovered how to make fire or use rudimentary tools - a lot of confusion and expressions of fear and bewilderment, followed by open hostility and ape-like grunting.
Thought the big myth was that you lot had started mixing it up a bit and playing a bit of football? Not on today's showing. If anything, you've regressed and gone even more route one. Wasn't just the pitch had snow on it today

LongsightM13 said:
An entire crowd booing when an opposition side passes the ball on the floor, as though it was witchcraft or something? And he calls our players neanderthals? Oh the irony.
Probably a similar reaction when the first caveman discovered how to make fire or use rudimentary tools - a lot of confusion and expressions of fear and bewilderment, followed by open hostility and ape-like grunting.
Thought the big myth was that you lot had started mixing it up a bit and playing a bit of football? Not on today's showing. If anything, you've regressed and gone even more route one. Wasn't just the pitch had snow on it today

Not restricted to yourselves or teams that play tippy tappy football that doesnt threaten our goal. Today at times we played some decent stuff and maybe on another day should have been in front at half time, Tuncay's back heel was as good as anything you will see this season in the Premier League......IMO...;)

Not restricted to yourselves or teams that play tippy tappy football that doesnt threaten our goal. Today at times we played some decent stuff and maybe on another day should have been in front at half time, Tuncay's back heel was as good as anything you will see this season in the Premier League......IMO...;)[/quote]

That bit of skill by Tuncay was sublime.
As for our tippy tappy football would rather pay to watch that than Sunday League with a professional twist. Come on, all those hoofs, throw-ins over physical challenges that you get away with cause it's Stoke. (that's how that play so it's ok,bless)

Back to thread…

As for a tipping point, not sure really. As I stated in my original post, Fergie makes a major deal out of any kind of result at Stoke so why not us?
To be fair they had won their last 3 and are very difficult to beat at Home. A very good point.

The way we controlled long periods of the second half may be a tipping point of sorts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.