Stop messing about and buy a very good CB

Pigeonho said:
Messing about would be to let clubs shaft us. We tried for a defender in Jan, and didn't want to get shafted, and rightly so. I'm sure in the summer the position will be dealt with and we will see a world class centre back to partner Kompany.
Nobody is messing about.

Agreed...though it is dragging on a bit unless...Rekik...probably not yet

It seems to be common knowledge that Lescott will be off in the summer. I regard MDM as nothing more than a stop gap who we signed in a bit of a panic - he wouldn't get in any other 'top' squad. After Kompany, I still think Lescott's the best we've got, following the loss of form by Nastasic.
Kompany to me is generally very good, a great leader, but not world class - evidence being there to be seen on the 1st goal/penalty last night, and other 'bollox' dropped from time to time - and Nastasic, who again due to lack of speed, and form over the last 12 months or so, cannot be rated anywhere near world class - and if we're looking to win the chumps league, world class it has to be. Richards, Boyatta, Rodwell and Garcia have all been shown to be lacking, unsuitable or chronically unfit to be relied upon at centre back. (Once upon a time, a fit and in form Richards would have taken that ball off Messi.)
Therefore, unless someone new and amazing is coming up through the ranks, or one of the other emergency reserves comes good unexpectedly, we need to sign 2 very, very good centre backs imho - and 2 full backs, and another central midfielder....and Messi.

Last summer it appeared that we spent too much time chasing Pepe, ran out of options by the time we realised it wasn't going to happen with him. All of our other signings were sorted very early, just that one that got away.

the blue panther said:
It seems to be common knowledge that Lescott will be off in the summer. I regard MDM as nothing more than a stop gap who we signed in a bit of a panic - he wouldn't get in any other 'top' squad. After Kompany, I still think Lescott's the best we've got, following the loss of form by Nastasic.
Kompany to me is generally very good, a great leader, but not world class - evidence being there to be seen on the 1st goal/penalty last night, and other 'bollox' dropped from time to time - and Nastasic, who again due to lack of speed, and form over the last 12 months or so, cannot be rated anywhere near world class - and if we're looking to win the chumps league, world class it has to be. Richards, Boyatta, Rodwell and Garcia have all been shown to be lacking, unsuitable or chronically unfit to be relied upon at centre back. (Once upon a time, a fit and in form Richards would have taken that ball off Messi.)
Therefore, unless someone new and amazing is coming up through the ranks, or one of the other emergency reserves comes good unexpectedly, we need to sign 2 very, very good centre backs imho - and 2 full backs, and another central midfielder....and Messi.
I'm sorry, but if Kompany isn't world class then who the fuck is? He's undeniably in the top 2 or 3 CB's in the world in anyones book. If that's not world class then I have no idea what is.

the blue panther said:

Kompany not world class ? The footballer that never makes an error doesn't exist but if Kompany was available for transfer all the top European teams would want him.

Why not just stamp your feet whilst saying it and be done with it?

I'm sure it's on our list of things to do but we're still in all four competitions at the moment, not bad with a shit defence eh?

It's not as easy as that though, that's the whole reason why Barça have been looking for a world class CB since Pep left.
All the top class CB's are already at big clubs. I'm sure we've been looking at top Centre halves, but as we have seen for the past couple of years we've had to sign old experienced CB's because there isn't any top ones to sign. When one becomes available I'm sure well sign him.

blueparrot said:
the blue panther said:

Kompany not world class ? The footballer that never makes an error doesn't exist but if Kompany was available for transfer all the top European teams would want him.

Because he is very very good - and would probably look even better with a similar player alongside him. Hopefully, we'll sign 2 such players in the summer. The fact that he generally plays well for us, or is perhaps the best in the premier league, or that he is a great leader, doesn't make him world class. He has a few too many mistakes in him for me and his distribution isn't reliable enough. But, give me another 2 like him and I'll be happy! That's what the thread's about. And it's all about opinions, isn't it? Mine's shit, but, it's still mine!

If there is a single centre back on planet earth appreciably better than Kompany, I nor likely most of the footballing world at large have never heard of him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.