Stop them try to shut Night and Day

Sheikh said:
His life will get far worse if it shuts down.

I read a few days ago that he'd had a death threat. I'm sure that'll get more people supported the Night & Day Cafe's cause.

I don't like the venue and I never have. It's more like a Northern Quarter hang out with a stage in the corner to occasionally put a band on. It's not designed for good gigs and the bar is pretty poor too. Several of my friends in bands don't enjoy playing there either but the one thing I can say is that the N&D losing its license may then instigate a worrying precedent for other venues. Jabez Clegg has gone and I don't see The Star & Garter lasting much longer either. Music has helped put Manchester on the map and now it's dying.

peoffrey said:
Sheikh said:
His life will get far worse if it shuts down.

I read a few days ago that he'd had a death threat. I'm sure that'll get more people supported the Night & Day Cafe's cause.

I don't like the venue and I never have. It's more like a Northern Quarter hang out with a stage in the corner to occasionally put a band on. It's not designed for good gigs and the bar is pretty poor too. Several of my friends in bands don't enjoy playing there either but the one thing I can say is that the N&D losing its license may then instigate a worrying precedent for other venues. Jabez Clegg has gone and I don't see The Star & Garter lasting much longer either. Music has helped put Manchester on the map and now it's dying.

Bit dramatic. You've got The Albert Hall which has just opened and Mayfield station has got planning permission to develop into a venue. Places like the Warehouse Project, MEN, Apollo, Gmex, Academy etc are more established. Plenty of smaller venues like Kraak and the Black Lion. Music in Manchester is far from dead, it's evolving.

We had a case here, in Limerick, a few years back where a couple bought an apartment above a late-license pub in the city centre and then tried to object when the pub's license came up for renewal. They were literally laughed out of court.

True_Blue69 said:
peoffrey said:

Bit dramatic. You've got The Albert Hall which has just opened and Mayfield station has got planning permission to develop into a venue. Places like the Warehouse Project, MEN, Apollo, Gmex, Academy etc are more established. Plenty of smaller venues like Kraak and the Black Lion. Music in Manchester is far from dead, it's evolving.

There's no history in any of the new venues and it is getting harder for new bands to break through when nobody can give them a chance. I was heavily involved from 2000 onwards and everyone I speak to from back then is in agreement that the scene is in its worse state and the potential problems with The N&D will set a precedent for good venues in town.

As much as I think it's a rubbish venue I wouldn't want it to shut. But as Aphex says it does sound like a marketing exercise on their part.

Remember that there's always two sides to any story and the other side of the story as I've heard it is that although one person complained (who's had death threats by the way!) he was acting on behalf of a number of residents. The noise was only a problem on a couple of specific nights that the venue put in where they were turning the volume up louder than usual. The residents tried to come to a compromise with the father and daughter owners but where met by abuse and instructions to move if you don't like it. They also refused access to council officials to assess the noise issues. They only started to work with the council once the notice was raised.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.