Sturridge charged with misconduct for breaching FA betting rules

Coach attack with over a 1,000 suspects , Salah on the phone whilst driving on CCTV , both resulted in no arrests , the F.A. should get Merseyside Police to investigate Sturridge ,there will be no chance of a conviction.

From what's circulating the bookmakers offered 25/1 on him moving to West Brom.
Someone, somewhere had a serious wedge on that bet.
The bookies are squealing - but fuck em!
Apparently the charges come after 8 months of prior investigation so the FA must think they have more than reasonable grounds for action.
Didn't Rooney's dad get investigated for football betting sometime back?
Not sure what the outcome was but good old Wayne the captain of England never came to grief.
If they charge you, you've not much hope. 90 odd % success rate if charged. Jose got away with the language thing but they're still appealing that one

The Mail* seems to be suggesting that it's information he's passed on regarding his loan move to West Brom that was then used AGAINST the bookies. If true, I don't see how that's enforceable; surely he has a right to discuss things going on in his own life with acquaintances.

How can he be reasonably expected to ensure those people don't then place a bet? It's completely out of his control, unless he's been stupid enough to send an email saying something like "I'm joining West Brom next week, go and put a bet on it."

If bookies are going to offer stupid side bets like this that aren't even part of the game, the onus should be on them to have the best possible information. They didn't this time, so fuck 'em.

*Of course, this could just be pure unfounded speculation from The Mail, in which case the above is all irrelevant.

In the same way a mate did not tell me, despite me threatening to punch him in the face, about a company he had shares in were buying another out. He was the CEO and its insider trading.

In the same way a mate did not tell me, despite me threatening to punch him in the face, about a company he had shares in were buying another out. He was the CEO and its insider trading.
"In the same way" is a bit of a stretch as there are clear differences between the two scenarios, but I take your point.

I'm more intrigued about where the FA draws the line with its own rules in this regard:

"A participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on — (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters."

Taken literally, those rules prohibit a player from revealing to his own wife or mother that he'll be changing jobs until it actually happens, as that could be construed as "enabling any person to bet on the transfer of players."

Now, presumably, even the FA wouldn't be that petty, so I'm guessing it comes down to who Sturridge told, how many people he told, and what he suggested they do with the information.

They've been investigating this for months now so they obviously feel they have a very strong case. I just think it's a bit rich for the bookies to be squealing when they're quite happy to use their own inside information when it suits them.

Their intel failed them this time; they should learn to take it on the chin or simply stop this nonsense of laying odds on matters that are so clearly open to manipulation from both sides of the market.

Not much of a "mate". There are ways of sharing I formation. Bet he had a trade or two. -:)

Funny this..... In 2006 I was invited (representing the FSF) to attend the player of the month / manager of the month award luncheon in some posh gentlemans club near Hyde Park, London.
Various media types (John Motson and loads of freeloading journos) were there, as well as Frank Clark from the managers association, Bobby Barnes the PFA, El Tel and Laurie Sanchez as England / N Ireland managers and others long forgotten.
Just before the 5 course lunch (yes my face was well and truly in the trough that day) we all were in a room and various names were read out and we all stuck our hands up to vote for which one we wanted. Ronaldo for the rags won player of the month and I think Mourihno (Chelsea) manager of the month.
What I didn't realize then was that the awards were not announced for the next 8 days! I had assumed that on the Friday we all voted, by the time I got home to Piccadilly the names would be out in the media, but it was the following Saturday when the 2 awards were announced. Had I known that Bet Fred would have been considerably poorer that week.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.