Sunday's NOTW re Stadium expansion ...

sherburncity said:
leewill31 said:
did you feel the same way moving from Maine road to the CoMS and the extra 14 thousand fans that it brought with it?

^^^^ this^^^^

Double this. The more the merrier. This is a new era for us blues. And to think we are even talking about such things is beyond what we could have dreamed of a few years back. Once that first trophy is lifted, like it or not, we will fill our current stadium twice over.

If you are from Manchester and thereabouts then that it is what it has always been about. City or United? Blue or red? Their recent period of success has not changed that. We were better not too long ago and will be again as we knew all along. Just patience is all ;-)

I hear what you say about the owners planning to be better than Real Madrid one day and thinking bigger than the rags but basically I don't care about Madrid/ Milan/ Barca/ wherever, although that will obviously be good if and when it happens.

What is in the blood and the daily heartbeat of Mancunians, wherever they may be, is us versus them. When we can finally shove their constant recent pisstaking back down their throats it will be a happy day/ year/ decade or two.

They are the only team that I feel that way about and that is the natural order of things and will never change no matter what success we see in the future.

Lets not pretend that they do not matter.

There is easily enough room at either end of the stadium to add 15,000 seats (each end)

Logically they will do one end first and see how attendances pan out.

Its a bit pathetic people comming on saying they dont want the ground any bigger and more bums on seats. Stupid, small minded and really not looking at the bigger picture.

When you talk about players they have a choice of where they play. When you talk about facilities, stadium, training ground and surrounding infrastructure it really doesnt matter - its all down to money and of course available land which we are fortunate to have in abundance.

If you look at what goes on in the Emirates you can see they like big projects and statements. Its very satisfying building a landmark structure that will be there for 50 years or more at the end of the day.

alera said:
There is easily enough room at either end of the stadium to add 15,000 seats (each end)

Its a bit pathetic people comming on saying they dont want the ground any bigger and more bums on seats. Stupid, small minded and really not looking at the bigger picture.

Dude, I reckon extending the stadium to 75,000 when we only managed to pull in 23,000 for our last home game is a little bit fuckin daft. I know it was only a mickey mouse team, but even the rags had 55,000 watch their reserves play Burton albion in the fa cup.

Not a chance of us getting that kind of support even if we gave the tickets away. Everyone thinks that a few trophies will have all the closet city fans turning up in their droves, well I don't know any. All the city fans I know go to the match and always have done. Do you think we will steal other peoples fans? Or maybe Khaldoon will fly them all in on the airbus for every home game? I think we've missed the boat on the glory hunting newfan brigade. Our hardcore is the ones who turned up to the last home game. And the day I see 75,000 watching City play wolves at home...... well I won't see it, so stop the shite talk and lets try and fill the stadium we've got. (Actually, why don't we build our own stadium from scratch?)

i think we should have 2 stadiums.

1 for preparation for the world cup, to host a CL final and the like(maybe even bargain for an FA Cup final) and to host our big games if we can't sell, also maybe have international rugby finals or something too.

Keep COMS for our normal games until we need to move, and then keep that for lesser cup games, and have a rugby union and league team on the patch that becomes a subsidiary of the club.

I don't want us to expand COMS, I'd rather we built a glorious state of the art magnificent stadium that put the rest of the world to shame.

The ghost of Burnage lane said:
alera said:

Dude, I reckon extending the stadium to 75,000 when we only managed to pull in 23,000 for our last home game is a little bit fuckin daft. I know it was only a mickey mouse team, but even the rags had 55,000 watch their reserves play Burton albion in the fa cup.

Not a chance of us getting that kind of support even if we gave the tickets away. Everyone thinks that a few trophies will have all the closet city fans turning up in their droves, well I don't know any. All the city fans I know go to the match and always have done. Do you think we will steal other peoples fans? Or maybe Khaldoon will fly them all in on the airbus for every home game? I think we've missed the boat on the glory hunting newfan brigade. Our hardcore is the ones who turned up to the last home game. And the day I see 75,000 watching City play wolves at home...... well I won't see it, so stop the shite talk and lets try and fill the stadium we've got. (Actually, why don't we build our own stadium from scratch?)

God it would have been so embarassing if they had failed to beat non-league opposition a second time even with home advantage especially after all the gazillions that they had spent on 'world-class players' compared to Burton Albion who matched them at home even though they were like plumbers and leccies!!

Fans will come and fill our ground, we are and were attracted to city for a myriad of reasons, I started supporting city `because I could`nt stand united fans` and that was before I stepped foot on the mighty Kippax steps, it will not be a problem to add many thousands to the gate, this is a big city we live in and plenty of `lapsed` fans will come back given a good cup run or challenging for the title, but we need a `ground` that is big enough, and as we stand COMS isn`t BIG ENOUGH, its good but not good enough..... how many blues do you know who never or rarely go ? but you know will start going again if we are doing well ? as for out of towners at the moment you may regard as `glory hunters` ....... how is that ? we`ve won nothing...

Eithad Arena on Clayton Aniline site 90,000 capacity please.

Then adults for £12, students £8 Kids under 14 for a fiver and under 8 for free.

Surely we'd still increase our revenue?

Keeps COMS for our reserve games :D

A really cool idea which no-one has ever done in ths country before (but happens in Germany and the like) is we could re-name our reserves/elite squad 'Manchester City II' (like Bayern Munchen II etc) and have them not only playing at COMS but PLAYING IN THE LOWER LEAGUES WITH OTHER CLUB'S FIRST TEAMS! Yeahhhhh.

The ghost of Burnage lane said:
alera said:

The rags failed to fill a reduced capacity OT for the derby after we'd beaten them 5-1. That was 30 odd thousand. Along came Sky & their league championships & they started expanding. They would only have got 70k+ once or twice a season in those days, just like we would now. Too many people have been brainwashed by the rag publicity machine into believing they can never be caught & thinking of reasons why we shouldn't dare to ever try.

Of course they can be fucking caught if you have the money. They're just a football team. If they'd won fuck all for 30 odd years & we'd won everything for 20 years their gates would be less than ours are now & we'd be full at 70 odd k. The key is to win stuff constantly. We never have in our history yet we still have big gates. The potential at City is frightning. One Chumps league would put 15k on our average but not if we didn't have the sodding seats for them to sit on!

sam221985 said:
A really cool idea which no-one has ever done in ths country before (but happens in Germany and the like) is we could re-name our reserves/elite squad 'Manchester City II' (like Bayern Munchen II etc) and have them not only playing at COMS but PLAYING IN THE LOWER LEAGUES WITH OTHER CLUB'S FIRST TEAMS! Yeahhhhh.

Thing is, that would be really unpopular with most of English football. Mourinho actually said he wanted a Chelsea II when he was there a few seasons back and the result was that the supporters rejected the idea instantly and virtually unanimously IIRC. Not only that but the FA would likely reject the idea as being like owning two clubs, or call it avoiding rules on player registration limits. And we would come in for unending torrents of abuse from the press and other fans for essentially trying to force control of other leagues. Oh, and it'd be pretty unpopular with the lower league teams who would have their league position and thus their revenue threatened by a club who can afford to throw Champions League-style budgets at a Conference-level club or thereabouts.

It works fine in countries where the system is already established, because everyone knows what's happening and accepts it. However, it would just be a nightmare trying to implement it in a country which doesn't already use that system (i.e. England).

And yes I'm aware that this system is used in non-league with clubs submitting multiple teams, but they wouldn't be allowed to take those reserve teams into the Conference if they ever got high enough - I think even the Conference's feeder leagues don't allow reserve teams - so as far as professional football goes England essentially doesn't have it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.