Sweet Soul Music (Do you like good music)

One of the greatest soul albums ever made. Listened to it only the other day. By God, but it grooves!
Later on in the seventies, I remember being very, very impressed with Songs in the Key of Life, but actually I think this is the greater album of the two. Some of the songs on SITKOL are dragged out by a minute or so, in my opinion, and some of them are quite saccharine. I well know that will be heresy for fans of that album. Inner Visions just has a tough, street-wise quality to it that was perfect for the year it was released, and suits my tastes in soul better.

By the way, nobody's put up anything from What's Going On? A timeless evergreen, that has appealed over the decades to fans of hard rock, soul, reggae, jazz and, for all I know, techno and rap. One of those rare albums that takes you hostage: as soon as you drop the needle onto the vinyl (that dates me!), you have no choice. You just have to listen to it right through. Also, by the way, the opening soundtrack to a very, very brilliant film — A Most Violent Year.

Addendum: incidentally, it was Michael Shrieve's favourite album ever (Marvin Gaye's). Yes, that Michael Shrieve, who at the tender age of 20 (he looks even younger) played that astounding drum solo at Woodstock.

Last edited:
One of the greatest soul albums ever made. Listened to it only the other day. By God, but it grooves!
Later on in the seventies, I remember being very, very impressed with Songs in the Key of Life, but actually I think this is the greater album of the two. Some of the songs on SITKOL are dragged out by a minute or so, in my opinion, and some of them are quite saccharine. I well know that will be heresy for fans of that album. Inner Visions just has a tough, street-wise quality to it that was perfect for the year it was released, and suits my tastes in soul better.

By the way, nobody's put up anything from What's Going On? A timeless evergreen, that has appealed over the decades to fans of hard rock, soul, reggae, jazz and, for all I know, techno and rap. One of those rare albums that takes you hostage: as soon as you drop the needle onto the vinyl (that dates me!), you have no choice. You just have to listen to it right through. Also, by the way, the opening soundtrack to a very, very brilliant film — A Most Violent Year.
Happened to get around to buying the cd only two weeks back. I was about nine when Living for the city dropped. Too young to understand but remember being fascinated by the video. Hadn't heard this longer version until now. The album flows perfectly imo and should be played as such. You might want to check out Norman Brown's version of Too high. Stevie on vocals again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.