Sweet Soul Music (Do you like good music)

You know that way that tracks used to drift in and out of the airwaves on Radio Luxemburg? You'd be listening to them with your ear glued to your Sony, maybe through the pillow, as you drifted off to sleep (in time with the drifting of the airwaves). It didn't seem to matter to me, it almost made them more magical.
Not sure if it's soul or not, and don't really care, but Mary Wells’ “My Guy” lit up my 1964 summer nights like that.

White boys could do it too, sometimes. Very northern soul. Go much further north and you'd be in the Orkneys. (Sorry, I'm not terribly savvy about this business of copying and pasting from Youtube…)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
You know that way that tracks used to drift in and out of the airwaves on Radio Luxemburg? You'd be listening to them with your ear glued to your Sony, maybe through the pillow, as you drifted off to sleep (in time with the drifting of the airwaves). It didn't seem to matter to me, it almost made them more magical.
Not sure if it's soul or not, and don't really care, but Mary Wells’ “My Guy” lit up my 1964 summer nights like that.
I remember doing that as well. Mary Wells - My Guy definitely soul. Featured on Motown Story Album.

I remember doing that as well. Mary Wells - My Guy definitely soul. Featured on Motown Story Album.

Just listened to it again for the first time in many years. That is soul right down to its fingertips! Particularly impressive (and pure soul) — the very creative way the horns are used in a sort of counter-rhythm to her very fine voice, to set up that lilting sound that is so much a part of the song's charm.
By heaven but Tamla-Motown knew how to do it in those years…

Just listened to it again for the first time in many years. That is soul right down to its fingertips! Particularly impressive (and pure soul) — the very creative way the horns are used in a sort of counter-rhythm to her very fine voice, to set up that lilting sound that is so much a part of the song's charm.
By heaven but Tamla-Motown knew how to do it in those years…

Greatest record label ever. No competition.

What a time to have been young!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.