Swimming and Fitness

Goo

Started exercising and trying to get fit about 4 months ago.

Generally do about 20-30 mins Cardio (Mostly cross trainer or running machine) and then do some weights on the side just to tone up a bit. Sure I'm starting to see some benefits but getting generally bored of doing the same old stuff.

Used to love swimming and still do when swimming leisurely, however wouldn't mind doing it as another form of fitness training. Is it as good as it's suppose to be? Been told its the best form of fitness as it works out pretty much every muscle going.

Will swimming help me to tone up etc? Or would it just be easier to keep running/cross training? All advice welcome.

Cheers guys!

Ask Doctor Wong;

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

don't now if it will help 'tone up' but neither will running or cross-trainer, but its great cardio.

i also do some weights/sit ups etc on the side of cardio to do spot-targeting toning

mansour's tow ropes said:
don't now if it will help 'tone up' but neither will running or cross-trainer, but its great cardio.

i also do some weights/sit ups etc on the side of cardio to do spot-targeting toning

I assumed it would as I've heard the term "swimmers body" mentioned before, so thought it might be a benefit of the swimming rather than additional work outs.

Also, what's spot targeting toning?

mansour's tow ropes said:

I always thought spot targeting was false?

nimrod said:
Ask Doctor Wong;

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Fruit very good. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Grain good too. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

LOL! Need to have another round of lunch now; digested all I ate after all that laughing!

Swimming is good for you and can help tone up, but you have to swim to a standard for it to make a real difference. There's little point in swimming up and down doing breastroke like ladies of a certain age
I'm involved with our local swimming club and the physiques of the lads are amazing. But they're training in a structured enviroment 8 or 9 hours a week.

The Pink Panther said:
Swimming is good for you and can help tone up, but you have to swim to a standard for it to make a real difference. There's little point in swimming up and down doing breastroke like ladies of a certain age
I'm involved with our local swimming club and the physiques of the lads are amazing. But they're training in a structured enviroment 8 or 9 hours a week.

Haha, yeah man, I used to do lots of intense swimming when I was younger. Big regret I just gave it up really! If I started doing it I'd be going at it pretty heavy. Like you said, if it's not a struggle then it's probably not working!

Can't ever recall seein' a fat swimmer in the Olympics , or commonwealth games .....

yes , it's great excercise !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.