Tackling

dom

Sorry.. I know this seems naive etc... but why is it that we don't close players down in midfield??

Why is it that that the likes of the Rags and Mackems press in midfield when not in posession (i.e. TACKLE) whereas we seem to do this pathetic backwards shuffling duck movement, giving the bastards loads of decision making time on the ball, not to mention loss of yardage????

Just a different defensive style, keep your shape rather than charging out of position to close the opposition down, leaving a gap behind you for people to exploit.

So how do the rags get away with aggresive defense ??? or indeed the Mackems ?

and BTW what's so 'defensive' about shuffling back half the length of the pitch and giving the oppo time on the ball and, teritorially, chances to swipe crosses into the box ?????

Obviously if you press the ball you give the opposition less time to pick a pass. They're both effective methods of defending if done correctly, Mancini just seems to favour standing off more.

We're certainly far more solid now than under Hughes, when players were defending as individuals, chasing the ball and being caught out of position, it was chaos at times. We have a proper defensive shape now and it makes us far harder to get through.

pee dubya said:
Obviously if you press the ball you give the opposition less time to pick a pass. They're both effective methods of defending if done correctly, Mancini just seems to favour standing off more.

We're certainly far more solid now than under Hughes, when players were defending as individuals, chasing the ball and being caught out of position, it was chaos at times. We have a proper defensive shape now and it makes us far harder to get through.

You are right PD in that we are more solid in the back 4 than we were under MH but I see no difference in ourmidfield tactics.

I still need to understand how NOT closing down players in the middle third of the pitch is a tactical advantage.

Or turn it on its head...if players commit to th tackle in the middle 3rd surely the rest of midfield and the back 4 are there as cover.

Anyone who saw Tevez' playing agianst the rags in the league cup 1st leg must get what I'm on about

We did close down Chelsea (2nd half and in the first match earlier this season) and got on top of them, don't know why we don't do it more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.