Talk about one of your favourite songs.

This track by Love has been a firm favourite since 1967 (Yes I'm a FOC) !
It's from an album ... Forever Changes. My 2nd favorite autumn album of all time Forever Changes flows through its mysticism and realism.
Love was an American west coast band dominated by it's leader Arthur Lee. Lee was a masterful songwriter and had the ability to be mysterious in his lyrics. (He added the Or to the songs title).
But there was another songwriter in Love, Bryan MacLean, a gentler soul that Arthur, this song was written by Bryan and was released as a single from the album, a single that bombed.
Bryan died in 1998 and Arthur died in 2006.

The opening acoustic guitar passage (played by MacLean) is forlorn and sets the general feel of the song. It is repeated at the end. During this passage the deeper guitar notes sound somehow piano-like.
All through this song there is really nice harmonies, performed by Lee and MacLean together. The harmonies are deeper in the mix but are perfect. Also from the beginning of the vocals there is a strange Bass line, it doesn't sound like a Bass guitar to me though.
One of the highlights is the Mariachi style trumpet solo at 1:15. played over orchestral instruments, it is quite simply stunning and what a great idea instead of the usual guitar solo. Apparently, Bryan used to play with his mother's castanets as a child and this is probably where the Spanish influence comes from.

Overall, a hauntingly beautiful and poignant song which has mystique and beauty. One of the first songs I learned to play on guitar.

Love in 1967;

R.9a69038bffa223cdf4ae97e894223591

There isn’t a bad track on that album, absolutely superb. My favourite is A House is not a Motel which has some manic energy

My favourite song from my favourite album. I'ver read it described as filler but Astral Weeks doesn't have any although I get that people will think Madame George and Ballerina are the classics but this song also contains my favourite ever refrain and reminder of how to live...

You breathe in, you breathe out, you breathe in, you breathe out...

I for whatever reason have always found this song incredibly moving too. It’s my favo(u)rite on the record (though I like “Wish You Were Here” — the song and the record — more) but even though maybe it’s a trope, it is a remarkable tune.

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

What a pair of albums though. I prefer WYWH as a record, partly for sentimental reasons, but I consider DSOTM a contender for the best album ever made. Not sure if I prefer "Money" or "Time".

“I want it now, I want it now
Don't tell me that my ship is coming in
Nothing comes to those who wait
Time's running out the door you're running in…”
Echo and the Bunnymen summing up today for us FOCs.

Last edited:
“20 years now
Where'd they go?
20 years
I don't know
I sit and I wonder sometimes
Where they've gone
And sometimes late at night
Oh, when I'm bathed in the firelight
The moon comes callin' a ghostly white
And I recall
I recall…”

Bob Seger for my maudlin moments.

Last edited:
“I want it now, I want it now
Don't tell me that my ship is coming in
Nothing comes to those who wait
Time's running out the door you're running in…”
I always liked Evergreen as an album, Baseball Bill was a great song that evoked the Bunnymen of old

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.