Talking tactics...

Wooderbeen

There are a few details that I've been picking up on in recent months that I thought I would share and get everyone's opinions on. This is not, repeat NOT, a sounding board for people who want to slag Hughes off or people who want to sing his praises - there are enough of those threads already.

Defending too deep when we have the ball: I'm a big fan of keeping posession and of holding the ball rather than booting it forward based on little more than a wing and a prayer, but do Richard Dunne and Nedum Onuoha really have to stand only ten yards up the pitch from their own eighteen yard box to receive the ball from the opponents half. It slows everything, allows the other team to position themselves and, worse of all, gives them respite when we could and should be piling on pressure (a la United and Chelsea).

Defending too narrow: This seems to be fashionable because Sven used the same system before Hughes. When the opposition has the ball the full backs tuck in and our back four play incredibly narrow. I understand that by packing out the box you starve their strikers of space, but this hasn't worked for us. We allow their wingers too much time and even if they deliver an accurate cross, the eighteen yard box is so congested that anything could happen; a ricochet, a goalkeeping fumble, a raised hand in the area, etc. With our two or three defending midfielders, do we really need our full backs playing only five yards from our centre backs?

One up front: People who know a bit about football will say that this system can be used to great effect and I agree. But when it isn't being used to great effect and doesn't seem to suit the players on the pitch, then why not change it up. Bojinov looked completely lost at the weekend and clearly isn't a player who can carry the burden of being that lone striker. Bellamy's touch and movement is perfect but how many times has he been caught out wide only to look up and see not a soul in the box? Jo can play the role, but seemed to drift in and out of the game a bit too much. Benjani just isn't good enough in my view and nowhere near strong enough in the air. Why not shove two of them up there and see what happens? Imagine Boj and Bellamy terrorising a defence with rapid movement and a plethora of shots from around the edge of the area. I think it's worth considering.

Two or three defensive midfielders: I think this is a smart move, but I'm not sure we've got the players right just yet. If you look at the players that sit deep for the big teams (Carrick, Essien, Obi Makel, Alonso, Mascherano, etc.), their main strengths lie in not only breaking down the opposition attacks, but in starting one for their own team. Kompany, De Jong and Zabaleta don't seem to get anything going for us and if they do we've got such few bodies up the park that we're forced to slow things down and allow the opposition to regroup, making it very hard for ourselves in the final third.

More shooting: It sounds obvious, childish even, but I'd like to see more shots from outside the area from City. Not just because the law of averages says that a few are going to go in over the course of a season, but if the opposition expect it, it draws players out of their backline creating space for our forwards. This has been a huge issue this year. Whenever we've had the ball in the final third we've faced a wall of opposition that we've found incredibly difficult to break down. Instead of neat flicks and deft one-twos all the time, let's bang a few at the keeper and make their defenders think.

Anyway... perhaps I over-analyse things, but after the Fulham game I was left pulling my hair out and thought that whilst I don't for one second think I know more than Hughes I think these are issues that should be considered.

Can i add to that list set pieces.......we never score from corners....and why don't we ever launch the ball into the danger areas when we have free kicks in the middle of the park, its always the short pass and usually backwards. I sometimes watch the game thinking that the whole object of actually putting the ball in the oppositions net has escaped some of our players.

pedigreeblue said:
Can i add to that list set pieces.......we never score from corners....and why don't we ever launch the ball into the danger areas when we have free kicks in the middle of the park, its always the short pass and usually backwards. I sometimes watch the game thinking that the whole object of actually putting the ball in the oppositions net has escaped some of our players.
and defending set pieces, the amount of goals and free headers that occur is embarrasing

pedigreeblue said:
I agree. This is one area where we don't seem to have any tactics. It seems to be that when we are awarded a corner, our big lads sprint into the area and wait for the ball ot be kicked in the general area they are stood. What's wrong with timing a run from the edge of the box? Having someone peel from the box towards the corner taker and playing it in short? Having all players standing together then splitting when the corner taker runs up? Anything... to con fuse the opposition and give us an edge.

Of course, it's worth remembering that all this is completely dependant in the first place on a decent delivery - something seemingly impossible to do.

Another frustrating thing is the unwillingness of the full backs (Richards every single time, and Bridge is also guilty of this) to put a foot in and attempt a tackle. Instead, they shuffle back as the winger runs at them and gets a cross in almost everytime. There seems to be no attempt to stop the cross coming in, just hoping they get the attacker in a slightly more difficult position to deliver the ball.

The main issue is the defense.

Due to the insecure defense, the midfielders have to pull back to cover up so no wonder they can not contribute more to the front. This season I could see this painfully clear.
The way they let the crosses in, is in my opinion criminal.

This is the main point that we need to address next season, if we want to have any chances. We have scored many many times, but we were not able to defend the result. Sad.

The corners are poor taken, time and time again. I have not see such an ineffective corners at the big teams, this is a very important part of the strategy and can turn easy the result.

Here's a different set-up for you then:

Defence: play with three skilled & fast centrebacks, plus one holding player in a covering/holding role, to link up with two midfielders to supply our forwards; two wingers, one forward in the hole, and one out-and-out striker, all employing total football, fast and fluid, and fantastic to watch, with players doing whatever's necessary.

With flair & touch ball players like we have, implementing a system to give them more freedom to switch positions and confuse the fuck out of opponents, pull the other side's markers/defenders out of their positions, and make incisive cutting moves with skilled controlled passes to carve them up, would this way of setting up and playing make us better to watch and get more from the luxury players we are starting to accumulate/develop?

We have Superman!
(and a few others you may have heard of...)

MCFCinUSA said:
Here's a different set-up for you then:

Defence: play with three skilled & fast centrebacks, plus one holding player in a covering/holding role, to link up with two midfielders to feed our forwards; two wingers, one forward in the hole, and one out-and-out striker, all employing total football, fast and fluid, and fantastic to watch, with players doing whatever's necessary.

With flair & touch ball players like we have, implementing a system to give them more freedom to switch positions and confuse the fuck out of opponents, pull the other side's markers/defenders out of their positions, and make incisive cutting moves with skilled controlled passes to carve them up, would this way of setting up and playing make us better to watch and get more from the luxury players we are starting to accumulate/develop?

We have Superman!
(and a few others you may have heard of... ehehe)
Definitely worth a try, especially at home.

The main thing i see wrong with City is:

When we have got the ball, the other players in the team are not working hard enough to make space for themselves to be passed to. If you watch the top teams there are 3, 4, 5 players all moving into space and changing direction so they can receive a pass, if someone marks them they move again (look at Hamburg last week, we couldnt live with them, and Chelsea at Anfield last week) - and when 4 players are doing this all at once it is like perpetual motion and there are always 3 or 4 options for the man with the ball to take!

You do not have to be a world class player to do this, you just have to have the tenacity, work ethic and fitness to do it! i have watched City in 15 or more games this season where time after time when we win the ball back or have it given to us we have 1 or even no options for the man with the ball to take because only one person is creating movement, or noone is, or someone has but is then marked and gives up trying again!

If this happens then ball retention is higher and if we have the ball that means the opposition havent which means we are more likely to create chances!

danburge82 said:
The main thing i see wrong with City is:

When we have got the ball, the other players in the team are not working hard enough to make space for themselves to be passed to. If you watch the top teams there are 3, 4, 5 players all moving into space and changing direction so they can receive a pass, if someone marks them they move again (look at Hamburg last week, we couldnt live with them, and Chelsea at Anfield last week) - and when 4 players are doing this all at once it is like perpetual motion and there are always 3 or 4 options for the man with the ball to take!

You do not have to be a world class player to do this, you just have to have the tenacity, work ethic and fitness to do it! i have watched City in 15 or more games this season where time after time when we win the ball back or have it given to us we have 1 or even no options for the man with the ball to take because only one person is creating movement, or noone is, or someone has but is then marked and gives up trying again!

If this happens then ball retention is higher and if we have the ball that means the opposition havent which means we are more likely to create chances!
100% correct. I first noticed this back in the late 90's with United. I hate the club, don't get me wrong, but there movement off the ball was truly amazing. Three or four options at least whenever they had it be it in their own half or on the edge of the area.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.