Tax Summary

flyer

Mrs Flyer does a part time job and on her tax summary for 2017 - 18 it says that her income, less her tax free amount, leaves a taxable figure of £170.82.

In the next section, it says she must pay the basic rate of income tax on this figure, giving £170 x 20% which gives £34. On the next line of her summary, it says Total Income Tax is £300.

Can anybody explain why £34 has become £300?

Mrs Flyer does a part time job and on her tax summary for 2017 - 18 it says that her income, less her tax free amount, leaves a taxable figure of £170.82.

In the next section, it says she must pay the basic rate of income tax on this figure, giving £170 x 20% which gives £34. On the next line of her summary, it says Total Income Tax is £300.

Without trying to state the obvious, phone the tax office and ask - I’ve had a few queries with them for one reason or another over the years and they are very good at sorting things out when you speak to them directly

Without trying to state the obvious, phone the tax office and ask - I’ve had a few queries with them for one reason or another over the years and they are very good at sorting things out when you speak to them directly
Might have to listen to on hold music for about an hour though.

I haven’t rang them for a few years but couldn’t he/she claim that back?

Actually, if it still exists, use the ‘no to 0800 number’ website
Last time I gave up phoning and used the website contact form which said that their turn round time for queries was a maximum of 28 days. Heard back 6 months later and had to query the response. It took another 6 months before I got my rebate. I understand accountants have a means of getting a quicker response but it’s not worth it for small amounts.

I've done that but gave up after waiting ages on the phone. Might give the website contact form a go as per west didsblue, but that doesn't sound too good either. I was actually expecting somebody to say it's because of x y and z and that would be the end to it. I didn't expect people to say that the calculation was wrong as most posters have and that we should challenge it

Because ......... Conservatives

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.