Taylor Harwood-Bellis | On loan at Southampton

I'm not sure the modern young player is that patient in terms of first team action though

That is why we really need to be more proactive on the game time front, cup games 4 or 5 youth in the league cup squad, also in the FA cup depending on opposition, like I said somewhere earlier, do we really need to be fielding 9 first teamers v Burton or Rotherham to get the win?
Don't get me wrong I like the fact we want to win everything but did fielding strong teams in those games affect us in the spurs in the chumps league quarter final?
They could also go balls in to win that u23 v the lower leagues cup and piss on those people chips as well lol

I missed him in pre-season, where I realise he gained a lot of the attention with more City supporters (outside our favourite Academy "insiders" like twosips and Douglas Higgenbottom on ManCityFans).

I mostly know who he is due to Football Manager (hah), but there I recall his attributes being physically strong and good in the air but not super technical. Has his technical ability improved or was that an unfair assessment?

Garcia, I realise, would be considered the opposite in terms of technical ability versus physicality, although clearly I've seen him play more due to the few City games he's played in over the past year.

Not to also be the cliched bearer of obvious "bad news" but I've also found myself excited about Academy products from the reports and what I get a chance to see, but know so many never make it.

Denayer and Tosin were fairly highly rated, especially Denayer as potential ball playing centre-halves who we could see as long term players for the club. We gave both pretty decent sized contracts to stay when there was interest or concerns from them about staying as well. Hasn't quite worked out with those two, so something I always keep in mind whlist still maintaining hope, of course.

I missed him in pre-season, where I realise he gained a lot of the attention with more City supporters (outside our favourite Academy "insiders" like twosips and Douglas Higgenbottom on ManCityFans).

I mostly know who he is due to Football Manager (hah), but there I recall his attributes being physically strong and good in the air but not super technical. Has his technical ability improved or was that an unfair assessment?

Garcia, I realise, would be considered the opposite in terms of technical ability versus physicality, although clearly I've seen him play more due to the few City games he's played in over the past year.

Not to also be the cliched bearer of obvious "bad news" but I've also found myself excited about Academy products from the reports and what I get a chance to see, but know so many never make it.

Denayer and Tosin were fairly highly rated, especially Denayer as potential ball playing centre-halves who we could see as long term players for the club. We gave both pretty decent sized contracts to stay when there was interest or concerns from them about staying as well. Hasn't quite worked out with those two, so something I always keep in mind whlist still maintaining hope, of course.
Denayer looked ok last season for Lyon.

Denayer was completely mismanaged. I know Pre-season flatters to deceive but he looked amazing, so calm from the back. To buy Demichelis was insulting and since the injuries at Galatasary, being played at RB and being loaned out to Sunderland, it completely shot his confidence. He's still only 24, convinced he'll become a very good CB.

THB & Garcia are excellent prospect and fit the Pep mould for a CB very well. THB's not John Stones but he has great composure.

Denayer has stepped it up massively. He is now the captain of Lyon. Not at all shabby. Could well get a big money move back to a bigger league.

Denayer was completely mismanaged. I know Pre-season flatters to deceive but he looked amazing, so calm from the back. To buy Demichelis was insulting and since the injuries at Galatasary, being played at RB and being loaned out to Sunderland, it completely shot his confidence. He's still only 24, convinced he'll become a very good CB.

THB & Garcia are excellent prospect and fit the Pep mould for a CB very well. THB's not John Stones but he has great composure.

You all may be right about Denayer, yet he didn't have a stellar season last year, according to WhoScored, at least, yet we know he has some qualities. He's 24 now so we'll see what happens.

Pellegrini clearly wanted to stick someone more experienced and trusted so with MDM he knew and as I recall was fairly key for us the season we won the title in 13-14 and did pretty well even in 14-15.

Was Denayer ready after the Celtic season? He was still quite young and we signed Mangala for a lot of money the season before and he hadn't really shown what was expected, clearly. The investment was heavy and I suspect there was concern about carrying 2 suspect, inexperienced CBs. MDM had flaws, but he was experienced and Pelegrini and he got along well.

I think it was our investment in Mangala that blocked Denayer more so than MDM. MDM was a cheap stop gap. We got him for practically nothing as I recall, and again was a Pellegrini manager on the pitch. Isn't that also part of the story for Denayer?

We still gave him a fairly big contract at the time, and he went to Turkey for a year where, let's be real, he didn't perform up to expectations. He eventually went to Lyon after years of mediocre performances in the Turkish league. He can pass, has potential and is a Francophone so Lyon took a chance on him after a little improvement over time.

We know Denayer did well at Celtic in 14-15 but it's hard not to forget it was also alongside VVD, yet, again, we can't deny he's a good passer for a centre half, but in terms of defence, he is a bit suspectx.

I hear the concern, and probably agreed then, but TBF to Pellegrini he was under massive pressure to win and probably felt that way about his own career given his limited window with Pep to follow. I think Pellegrini was under more pressure even more so than Pep (other than Pep's first season) and that's the story of Manuel going with more experienced players such as MDM who he knew well, and did a good job generally despite his age.

The reality is we were in a really large hole regarding our centre half situation at the time, and that includes Vinny as we know because of his injury problems. We also had slow aging fullbacks and overly relied on Fernandinho to cover the defenders' and sad to say Yaya's mistakes/diminished work rate as he aged, which was impossible even in Dinho's prime years for us under Pellegrini in a 2 man midfield.

We signed Nico for a pretty hefty fee that was lower only because Velencia owed us money for Negredo. This was after his season where he was "the best" at stopping Messi and "the best" defender in La Liga, but we learned quickly in his first season how reckless he could be, particularly going to ground too often for tackles.

Pep also learned all of the problems with our defence quickly in his first season as we know well and led us to spend massive cash we are still ridiculed for on 3 FB's and Laporte over 2 windows after the 1st season under Pep.

That's generally why we let Denayer go. He wasn't clearly up for a PL side who wants to win the title and struggled with defending. Pep saw him in one or 2 preseasons, I think, no? Something led to doubts.

Stones (already showing skill in the PL and someone Pep had high hopes for) and Laporte were better defenders than Jason. Whether in the air which at the time was still a dominant aspect of PL clubs or positioning and tackling whilst still being good at playing it out of the back/on the ground. I don't think Jason's been considered as strong as the other two, who are all about the same age.

Last edited:
You all may be right about Denayer, yet he didn't have a stellar season last year, according to WhoScored, at least, yet we know he has some qualities. He's 24 now so we'll see what happens.

Pellegrini clearly wanted to stick someone more experienced and trusted so with MDM he knew and as I recall was fairly key for us the season we won the title in 13-14 and did pretty well even in 14-15.

Was Denayer ready after the Celtic season? He was still quite young and we signed Mangala for a lot of money the season before and he hadn't really shown what was expected, clearly. The investment was heavy and I suspect there was concern about carrying 2 suspect, inexperienced CBs. MDM had flaws, but he was experienced and Pelegrini and he got along well.

I think it was our investment in Mangala that blocked Denayer more so than MDM. MDM was a cheap stop gap. We got him for practically nothing as I recall, and again was a Pellegrini manager on the pitch. Isn't that also part of the story for Denayer?

We still gave him a fairly big contract at the time, and he went to Turkey for a year where, let's be real, he didn't perform up to expectations. He eventually went to Lyon after years of mediocre performances in the Turkish league. He can pass, has potential and is a Francophone so Lyon took a chance on him after a little improvement over time.

We know Denayer did well at Celtic in 14-15 but it's hard not to forget it was also alongside VVD, yet, again, we can't deny he's a good passer for a centre half, but in terms of defence, he is a bit suspectx.

I hear the concern, and probably agreed then, but TBF to Pellegrini he was under massive pressure to win and probably felt that way about his own career given his limited window with Pep to follow. I think Pellegrini was under more pressure even more so than Pep (other than Pep's first season) and that's the story of Manuel going with more experienced players such as MDM who he knew well, and did a good job generally despite his age.

The reality is we were in a really large hole regarding our centre half situation at the time, and that includes Vinny as we know because of his injury problems. We also had slow aging fullbacks and overly relied on Fernandinho to cover the defenders' and sad to say Yaya's mistakes/diminished work rate as he aged, which was impossible even in Dinho's prime years for us under Pellegrini in a 2 man midfield.

We signed Nico for a pretty hefty fee that was lower only because Velencia owed us money for Negredo. This was after his season where he was "the best" at stopping Messi and "the best" defender in La Liga, but we learned quickly in his first season how reckless he could be, particularly going to ground too often for tackles.

Pep also learned all of the problems with our defence quickly in his first season as we know well and led us to spend massive cash we are still ridiculed for on 3 FB's and Laporte over 2 windows after the 1st season under Pep.

That's generally why we let Denayer go. He wasn't clearly up for a PL side who wants to win the title and struggled with defending. Pep saw him in one or 2 preseasons, I think, no? Something led to doubts.

Stones (already showing skill in the PL and someone Pep had high hopes for) and Laporte were better defenders than Jason. Whether in the air which at the time was still a dominant aspect of PL clubs or positioning and tackling whilst still being good at playing it out of the back/on the ground. I don't think Jason's been considered as strong as the other two, who are all about the same age.

The problem with Denayer was not us signing Demichelis, it was us promising Denayer first team football, provided he signed a new deal, then, because Demichelis' move away fell through, shitting all over him.

He had most of Europe interested & decided to stay with City. Went for starring for Belgium v France, to being a joke at Sunderland & in trouble with the police.

We shat all over him & he was never the same again. Hopefully he has a good career.

If Pep had been in charge then, we would have brought back Denayer & signed Van Dijk from Celtic.

Pellegrini is a wanker.

Lol to claim Denayer wasnt good for us is mental. The kid was as primed as ever to be part of our team but we mismanaged the hell out of him. He is killing it for Lyon, and many posters on here (including myself) knew he was gonna be a big talent.

As good as our management is, it goes to show you how Pre-Pep, we failed to give youth a chance, when I say youth I mean like 20-21 and not 17-18 year olds (who are not yet primed)

Lol to claim Denayer wasnt good for us is mental. The kid was as primed as ever to be part of our team but we mismanaged the hell out of him. He is killing it for Lyon, and many posters on here (including myself) knew he was gonna be a big talent.

As good as our management is, it goes to show you how Pre-Pep, we failed to give youth a chance, when I say youth I mean like 20-21 and not 17-18 year olds (who are not yet primed)
Ahh, the good old blue tinted glasses. He 100% wasn't as good as MDM was for us (who was a big reason we won trophies when he joined) and this myth that we destroyed him is laughable. He was a grown (if young) man who has constantly failed to live up to this fairy tale idea of a perfect CB for us.

This silly idea that he's 'killing it' for Lyon is equally daft, he's average at best. The only thing that ever stopped Jason Denayer from being great was Jason Denayor himself.

Brandon Barker is similar although at least he has injuries to blame some of it on, the Rangers fans are less than enthused with his signing although he still has the opportunity to turn it around.

Ahh, the good old blue tinted glasses. He 100% wasn't as good as MDM was for us (who was a big reason we won trophies when he joined) and this myth that we destroyed him is laughable. He was a grown (if young) man who has constantly failed to live up to this fairy tale idea of a perfect CB for us.

This silly idea that he's 'killing it' for Lyon is equally daft, he's average at best. The only thing that ever stopped Jason Denayer from being great was Jason Denayor himself.

Brandon Barker is similar although at least he has injuries to blame some of it on, the Rangers fans are less than enthused with his signing although he still has the opportunity to turn it around.
Disagree with everything here but I wont press. I already argued about our mismanagement of Denayer years ago and wont go into it again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.