Tech-y-ish question: ISP Scanning P2P vs RapidShare

GStar

\o/ EASY /o\ EASY \o/ EASY /o\ '09 Ashes Champion
Hoping someone who knows a bit about computers can answer this:

I know that p2p transactions are being scanned more and more by authorities looking for copyright infringement.

Is it just as easy for the same people to scan files downloaded from rapidshare/megaupload etc?

Not sure how the two processes work; can see how p2p could be intercepted by a 3rd party but not sure if/how files from the above sites can?

Most of the rapidshare uploads are named differently to the files so it would be almost impossible for anyone to know what they are.

Good link for you <a class="postlink" href="http://www.forumw.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" target="_blank">http://www.forumw.org</a>

GStar said:
Cheers, i use warez-bb.org what about if someone scanned and looked into the file as it was being transferred?

p2p is sharing so its open for anyone to look at, any idea what its like rapidshare etc?
You will need Shady or Doctor Congo for this answer as I'm unsure.

GStar said:
Hoping someone who knows a bit about computers can answer this:

I know that p2p transactions are being scanned more and more by authorities looking for copyright infringement.

Is it just as easy for the same people to scan files downloaded from rapidshare/megaupload etc?

Not sure how the two processes work; can see how p2p could be intercepted by a 3rd party but not sure if/how files from the above sites can?

Your ISP has the ability to monitor EVERY packet which goes to and from your home, of course they don't check on every user but they can have a quick snoop on high traffic users to decide if further investigation is worthwhile.

Totally seperately from ISP monitoring, copyright owners will tend to target torrent uploaders (its often not difficult to find original seeders as many torrent trackers won't work through proxies) to find their IP addresses in order to take action.

Banned Tosspot said:
Most of the rapidshare uploads are named differently to the files so it would be almost impossible for anyone to know what they are.

Good link for you <a class="postlink" href="http://www.forumw.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" target="_blank">http://www.forumw.org</a>

Good link that mate.

Doctor Congo said:
Your ISP has the ability to monitor EVERY packet which goes to and from your home, of course they don't check on every user but they can have a quick snoop on high traffic users to decide if further investigation is worthwhile.

Totally seperately from ISP monitoring, copyright owners will tend to target torrent uploaders (its often not difficult to find original seeders as many torrent trackers won't work through proxies) to find their IP addresses in order to take action.

Cheers mate. The ways the guys i were talking to explained it was; it wasn't the ISP who would do the scanning/monitoring/snooping, instead it was the companies who owned the copywrights who would scan the system, send a list of IP's who have been found to be downloading copywrighted material back to the ISP's who would then ban for 56 days and charge a reconnection fee for "copywright absue".

I'm guessing what you're saying is that it's not impossible, but its must less likely they will look at rapidshare etc files?

GStar said:
Doctor Congo said:

Cheers mate. The ways the guys i were talking to explained it was; it wasn't the ISP who would do the scanning/monitoring/snooping, instead it was the companies who owned the copywrights who would scan the system, send a list of IP's who have been found to be downloading copywrighted material back to the ISP's who would then ban for 56 days and charge a reconnection fee for "copywright absue".

I'm guessing what you're saying is that it's not impossible, but its must less likely they will look at rapidshare etc files?
Without researching rapidshare (I've never used it) I assume they keep your details private so I'd guess you're ok. Torrents and other p2p methods on the other hand by their nature generally require your ip address to be available via the tracker (the server which connects users to each other).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.