That Hamburg night in Manchester

The Hamburg match is still one of my all time favourite games. I remember taking the morning off the day the tickets went on sale for a 'doctors appointment' and headed to the Etihad to queue up for tickets, it took ages as the queue was massive but we all got our tickets for the game.
The match itself was great, we had a good chance to qualify and really went for it, both sides played great attacking football and the match was made even better by a competent impartial European referee (remember those! Quite rare these days).
If was one of those games where the club pitched the ticket prices and sales criteria perfectly, most of the crowd was made up of locals and loads of people who either hadn't been able to go before or had stopped going a while ago were able to come along.
The Hamburg fans played their part too, they were raucous but friendly and I don't remember any of the boring orchestrated songs/chanting that a lot of European fans serenade us with.
It was just the perfect confluence of events leading to one of the all time great nights that had everything except the result.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.