That (those) monolith (s)

Aliens don’t exist btw
When:
08459525b4c05af9b9e1748406e26ad869d9462d

where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);

and:
R∗ = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life and that could actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that could develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations could release detectable signals into space

Estimates that:
N= ~1,000 (and fi= ~100,000,000) in our Milky Way galaxy alone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add; this^ communication is likely to be radio signal communication. We aren’t going to be visited or be shaking hands with these aliens and sharing a coffee+cake at Costa.

When:

where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);

and:
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life and that could actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that could develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations could release detectable signals into space

Estimates that:

If only I had a mate like you back in the day to do my homework

When:

where:

and:

Estimates that:
Is that the nonsense Drake Equation?

Yeah is bollocks as if it were true and there were other civilisations out there, we’d have seen them. The fact no one has colonised the whole galaxy means we’re it.

When:

where:

and:

Estimates that:
Lets see....

N =

1.5 x 10−5 × 10−9 × 0.2 × 304

= 9.1 × 10−13?!

You're more likely to wake up next to a guy with two heads.

Anyway, I looked at this and the guy recording his walk in a straight line, and realised both were very close to the Land Art Richard Long | (2), and Andy Goldsworthy have been doing for fifty years now.

I think the best way to say it, is that the Land Art movement was trying to get people to think about their relationship to the ever changing land and nature, and man-made boundaries and geography. Lives, and life itself, don't naturally evolve around geographic borders, and in nature, everything is in a constant state of change, the climate, erosion, cycles of growth, etc.

Is that the nonsense Drake Equation?

Yeah is bollocks as if it were true and there were other civilisations out there, we’d have seen them. The fact no one has colonised the whole galaxy means we’re it.
Why would we have seen them? You expect ‘them’ to colonise the whole galaxy when we can’t and probably never will

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.