The 100 greatest players of all time.

Utter shite.

Luis Suarez above both Hristo Stoichkov and Romario. This, and the fact that Platini is below Zidane, suggests the list was compiled by person or persons who think football began in 1992.

EDIT: Have I read it wrong. There's no sign of one C.Ronaldo on that list. Quite right, too.

Not read the full list but had a quick look at top 20. Ronaldo only at 18 I don't agree with, before his injuries effectively ended his career he was the best striker on the planet and that was after his first knee injury.

Thanks to the Spanish school, the game's going through a transition; at the other end of it, football will be significantly better than it was in the mid 2000s and obviously any time earlier than that.

Already, I think its rosy to think of players like Puscas, Garrincha, Di Stefano as being anywhere close to Silva, Kompany and Aguero never mind Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. Possession was squandered so easily back in the 50s and 60s and pitches were much smaller. Yet modern players have not only become athletes - due to the bigger pitches, but they've become better technically. The game's evolved with Maradona perhaps being one of few worth mentioning in the same breath as today's players.

Messi, for me, is the greatest I've seen.

Messi, for me, is the greatest I've seen.

I think his true level can only be judged when he's finished. If he wins the World Cup single-handedly, then he may equal Maradona. Though Maradona trumps him as he did his best stuff when off his head on coke. There can be no equal. But I guess everyone's favourite is a generation thing. My dad would say Pele. His dad would say Stanley Mathews or Duncan Edwards.

for me it can only be Cruyff - who also has the greatest footballing brain of all time.

* Maradona should lose points for cheating, especially because this list uses statistical measures to arrive at the ratings, and in one important element of these he significantly 'achieved' by egregiously breaking the rules of the game.

Its an absolute shocker of a list. How low on the list was Maldini ? Lots of Uruguayans and Italians from the fifties but no mention of Tom Finney?. A place for Dalglish who wasn't a patch on our former Manager King Kev.

Jimmy Johnstone in but no place for Dave McKay? .

Was Stoichkov better than Linekar or Rush or Boniek???

Carlos Alberto, Captain of the greatest team ever- wasn't in my opinion as good a Right Back as the current voice of "Sky" - Goatfeeder or Cafu or Jimmy Armfied.

As for Roy ( The Coward) Keane: I wouldn't even let him look at the list.

So,so many awful,awful, choices, and I agree with the lad who said Zidane wasn't as good as Platini.

Unknown_Genius said:
I really disagree with Zidane rated higher than Platini and Zico. Infact Zidane wouldn't make my top 10.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Zidane was amazing. My second best player ever behind maradonna although messi is edging in.

johnmc said:
Unknown_Genius said:
I really disagree with Zidane rated higher than Platini and Zico. Infact Zidane wouldn't make my top 10.

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Zidane was amazing. My second best player ever behind maradonna although messi is edging in.

No offense, but football did not start in 1992. Platini was the best French player in that playmaker role. He was quicker, better at freekicks, passing, and scored more goals. His goalscoring record for an attacking midfielder was awesome, most strikers would be very jelous of it. Platini was superior to Zidane in every department, bar Zidane's skills with the ball, which although great to watch, couldn't trump Platini's much more important strengths.

As for Zidane not making the top 10, I stand by it. Football has been going on for a very long time, and there is simply other players I would have ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack on Zidane, I loved watching the guy, but as I said I wouldn't have him in the top 10, just as there are some fantastic footballers that I feel are ahead of him. If it was a top 10 of players of the last 20 years than yes, but in football history, no.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.