The 6-1 was like a bully getting his comeuppance

As well as the 1-6 battering, the part I enjoyed, was the fact they said they were down to ten men for most of the second half........ And then as if by magic we too were down to ten men after just 11 minutes in in the FA Cup game. They tried their bollocks off to humiliate us and wound up hanging on after a tremendous second half performance by our lads. Hmmmmm icing on the cake that was.

danburge82 said:
This win nearly fucked up our season.

From the 1-6 win to the Arsenal game, United picked up 13 more points than we did. They completely changed the way they played, almost going back to basics, lots of 1-0 wins.

As bizarre as this sounds, beating United 1-6 was almost the worst thing we did this season.

Now, of course, it doesn't matter what it nearly did or didn't do because we are CHAMPIONS!

-- Wed May 30, 2012 7:46 am --

Basil2 said:
I don't recall whether it was Martin Buchan *intentionally* putting 29yo Colin Bell out of the game forever or George Best nearly getting Glyn Pardoe's leg amputated.

But at one (not both) of those games, we (me included) retaliated to "We hope he's broke his leg" with "Munich, Munich". It made the red chant turn to boos, so was kinda justified at the time.

Frank Swift died on that plane too, so my sympathy and apologies to his descendants.

I recall the scum chant exactly as I cited above, but it was a long time ago and can't be absolutely certain it's verbatim. Anyone got the game recorded?

Best eventually got a booking for his horrendous tackle on our Glyn.

United, Leeds and Chelsea were already known for their intentional leg-breaking tackles and relied on that intimidation to get opponents to release the ball.

Shame Clive Thomas wasn't given those kind of matches. He had a traffic warden mentality (as is now compulsory), but might at least have offered City a bit of protection.

The 6-1 result and winning the title were brilliant, but being at The Swamp to see a certain Denis Law goal has to be my ultimate moment of City magic.

Eternal thanks to Handforth's Hector Heathcote (twin sister's then boyfriend) for getting me in! It was the first time I'd been denied a derby ticket and I was living over 200 miles train ride away by then. But I went up to Salford anyway and will never regret it!

BTW, Did I mention what team I support? ;-)

The future's bright. The future's blue.
Old Trafford is in Stretford, not Salford!

We won the league by beating the Old Toilet 1-6
I absolutely refuse to give yoonited credit for their undeserved 89 points ... I give credit where credit is due, and in this case credit to the bent referees... cheers

C_71_article_1462748_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Roll On City said:
danburge82 said:

From the 1-6 win to the Arsenal game, United picked up 13 more points than we did. They completely changed the way they played, almost going back to basics, lots of 1-0 wins.

As bizarre as this sounds, beating United 1-6 was almost the worst thing we did this season.

Now, of course, it doesn't matter what it nearly did or didn't do because we are CHAMPIONS!

Basil2 said:
I don't recall whether it was Martin Buchan *intentionally* putting 29yo Colin Bell out of the game forever or George Best nearly getting Glyn Pardoe's leg amputated.

But at one (not both) of those games, we (me included) retaliated to "We hope he's broke his leg" with "Munich, Munich". It made the red chant turn to boos, so was kinda justified at the time.

Frank Swift died on that plane too, so my sympathy and apologies to his descendants.

I recall the scum chant exactly as I cited above, but it was a long time ago and can't be absolutely certain it's verbatim. Anyone got the game recorded?

United, Leeds and Chelsea were already known for their intentional leg-breaking tackles and relied on that intimidation to get opponents to release the ball.

Shame Clive Thomas wasn't given those kind of matches. He had a traffic warden mentality (as is now compulsory), but might at least have offered City a bit of protection.

The 6-1 result and winning the title were brilliant, but being at The Swamp to see a certain Denis Law goal has to be my ultimate moment of City magic.

Eternal thanks to Handforth's Hector Heathcote (twin sister's then boyfriend) for getting me in! It was the first time I'd been denied a derby ticket and I was living over 200 miles train ride away by then. But I went up to Salford anyway and will never regret it!

We won the league by beating the Old Toilet 1-6
I absolutely refuse to give yoonited credit for their undeserved 89 points ... I give credit where credit is due, and in this case credit to the bent referees... cheers

C_71_article_1462748_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Totally agree. United got 89 points and still didn't win the league. They don't deserve credit. Surely it only highlights just how well we performed more than anything else? Afterall, United have "the experience" in the run in. Clearly we wanted it more than them.

And the bully analogy is the perfect way to describe the 6-1. I'll never, EVER tire of watching that game. Ever.

Just found a cheeky 45 minutes before the missus got in, watched the second half for the umpteenth time. We need that Balotelli against every team, not just United. He's unstoppable when he's in that mood.

danburge82 said:

Basil2 said:

I see where you're coming from but it was goal difference that won us the league, and therefore - this game. Even if we'd won 2 or 3 nil it could have been dangerous, I think we were plus 10 after beating Newcastle which the Rags knew they weren't gonna catch realistically. If it had only been a couple they would have put a lot more into their games against Swansea and Sunderland to get more goals thinking they could have overturned it, but as it was they went in to those two games thinking the league was over. They knew they weren't gonna pull back 10 goals in 2 games. Our goal difference had to be a fair gap because if they'd believed they could reach it, they just may well have done.

We could have shut up shop at 3-1 in that game, just as well we didn't in my view!

Mr Partridge said:
danburge82 said:

Basil2 said:

I see where you're coming from but it was goal difference that won us the league, and therefore - this game. Even if we'd won 2 or 3 nil it could have been dangerous, I think we were plus 10 after beating Newcastle which the Rags knew they weren't gonna catch realistically. If it had only been a couple they would have put a lot more into their games against Swansea and Sunderland to get more goals thinking they could have overturned it, but as it was they went in to those two games thinking the league was over. They knew they weren't gonna pull back 10 goals in 2 games. Our goal difference had to be a fair gap because if they'd believed they could reach it, they just may well have done.

We could have shut up shop at 3-1 in that game, just as well we didn't in my view!

That's what Ferguson thought, he said as much in an interview afterwards, that we should have just run the clock down and taken the win. He definitely didn't expect us to go on and bend them over! ha ha!
Just shows, for all his experience he doesn't know it all!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.