The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Here was mine; basically the same set list for U2:

I found the WBs setlist -- apparently they DIDN'T play TWOTM since they hadn't released it. No wonder I don't recall. The fact that they covered Watchtower AND have a song called "Rags" is encouraging . . .
  1. Bury My Heart
  2. The Three Day Man / All Along the Watchtower
  3. A Girl Called Johnny
  4. All the Things She Gave Me
  5. Ribbon of Steel
  6. Rags
  7. Red Army Blues
  8. Savage Earth Heart
One thing I recall is how much fun 1984 was. I bet I saw 40 shows that year in DC and in SF. Definitely my biggest concert-going year.
Saw Waterboys on Glastonbury Pyramid stage that very year. I'm as sure as i can be, which is not very, that they played a lot of tracks that made it onto ThisistheSea a few months later. I can say without hesitation though that they had a fucking mind blowiing laser show.

The easy thing: listening to this album. Surprised how much I must have listened to it in the past, as I seem to know it better than I would have imagined.

the hard thing: not comparing it against their richer work that came later, the folk laden stuff and in particular the blues/gospel driven stuff of the B-sides compilation I really like.

I had a mooch around listening to The Waterboys after one of their tracks was nominated in a previous playlist. I've checked back and it was @stonerblue (and his brilliant story of climbing up the side of a pier to get in to Edwin Starr for free) and there was a discussion about some of their other work which I listened to. This is surprisingly different to that, but I've just had a read about them and it appears they evolved their style and focus over time which I assume is Coatigan's point. Not made my mind up about this album yet.

Also, looking at previous members of the Waterboys, is there anybody who hasn't been in them at some point? "Many formations" is slightly understating it; It must run close to a hundred ex members, some great names too.

I had a mooch around listening to The Waterboys after one of their tracks was nominated in a previous playlist. I've checked back and it was @stonerblue (and his brilliant story of climbing up the side of a pier to get in to Edwin Starr for free) and there was a discussion about some of their other work which I listened to. This is surprisingly different to that, but I've just had a read about them and it appears they evolved their style and focus over time which I assume is Coatigan's point. Not made my mind up about this album yet.

Also, looking at previous members of the Waterboys, is there anybody who hasn't been in them at some point? "Many formations" is slightly understating it; It must run close to a hundred ex members, some great names too.

you sure it wasnt @stoneblue, a different user who has recently joined this thread?

The easy thing: listening to this album. Surprised how much I must have listened to it in the past, as I seem to know it better than I would have imagined.
Yeah, listed twice today and it really is a good one. Love that first track the most, "Don't Bang the Drum". The song I had heard before is the obvious TWOTM.

Oh, and on the Extended Version, "Sleek White Schooner" sounds like a Springsteen song with the Rosalita-like sounding sax intro until Mike's vocals come in.

Well done, @Mancitydoogle! More to come...
the hard thing: not comparing it against their richer work that came later, the folk laden stuff and in particular the blues/gospel driven stuff of the B-sides compilation I really like.
Yes, quite the lengthy catalog to go along with the list of who has been in the band with Mike Scott. I loved this comment from him:

"To me there's no difference between Mike Scott (solo) and the Waterboys; they both mean the same thing. They mean myself and whoever are my current travelling musical companions.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.