The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Don't look now, but Oasis is giving Radiohead a run for its money on the number of pages generated. We're 19 in after a day and a half.

Granted, we've got a whole 'best guitarists' side thread going too after Fog dropped the Rolling Stone list bomb, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

No matter how you slice it, people got thoughts on both bands! ;-)

Don't look now, but Oasis is giving Radiohead a run for its money on the number of pages generated. We're 19 in after a day and a half.

Granted, we've got a whole 'best guitarists' side thread going too after Fog dropped the Rolling Stone list bomb, but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

No matter how you slice it, people got thoughts on both bands! ;-)
I missed the Radiohead debate and appreciate they split the camp.

I like them.

For the most part.

A band that splits opinions, I'm in, and I have enjoyed all the banter, and constructive arguments.
Oasis.
Fuck me, where do we start?
Debut album you say?
Ok.
Well it's definitely up there if that's the criteria, even if it was somewhat press promoted with all the hype. From what I vaguely remember, this album was never gonna bomb, even if it was shit.
Are we judging this record on its own merit? Well that's a different story altogether.
Hype can sometimes mask mediocrity, and this recording does this at times.
Its a strange one.
When it came out I absolutely loved it, if you'd have asked me then I'd have given it a 10.
But it hasn't stood the test of time. Now it sounds like, well, something from 30 years ago really.
But that doesn't matter, because as a debut album, it left a marker that still warrants discussion today.
Liam, at the time, sang whatever noel wrote for him, and he did it well. I respect them both for that, noel, however, was only just starting, and has since written some belting tunes, while Liam, as successful as he is at self promotion, has become an oasis cover band front man if we're honest.
It's an album I remember with fondness, but rarely revisit.
A very personal record to me, but it's not one I've stayed in love of over the years, and it's really hard to explain.
I could do a track by track on this but it really isn't necessary, we all know by now.
7 out of 10

A band that splits opinions, I'm in, and I have enjoyed all the banter, and constructive arguments.
Oasis.
Debut album you say?
Ok.
Well it's definitely up there if that's the criteria, even if it was somewhat press promoted with all the hype. From what I vaguely remember, this album was never gonna bomb, even if it was shit.
Are we judging this record on its own merit? Well that's a different story altogether.
Its a strange one.
When it came out I absolutely loved it, if you'd have asked me then I'd have given it a 10.
But it hasn't stood the test of time. Now it sounds like, well, something from 30 years ago really.
But that doesn't matter, because as a debut album, it left a marker that still warrants discussion today.
Liam, at the time, sang whatever noel wrote for him, and he did it well. I respect them both for that, noel, however, was only just starting, and has since written some belting tunes, while Liam, as successful as he is at self promotion, has become an oasis cover band front man if we're honest.
A very personal record to me, but it's not one I've stayed in love of over the years, and it's really hard to explain.
I could do a track by track on this but it really isn't necessary, we all know by now.
7 out of 10
For a non fan, I totally get this.
I like this take on things.

Asked myself this question again over the course of the day, as that comment has clearly irked a few.

Would you for instance be able to enjoy the football of Utd for example, having experienced a bad side of their fanbase? Genuine question.
Genuine answer: yes.
Spent almost 50 years getting shit off rags.
I went to Manchester and clapped their team on the parade after they won European Cup in 99. And I like little Mainoo.
I can't think of one band I'd swerve because other people that like them are wankers.
As it happens, I was living in a tent in a field in southern France when I first heard Definitely Maybe. Couldn't have been further away from the swaggering Manc youth or 'lad culture' that later engulfed the band.
Me and the still Mrs stoner spent our first month back in Blighty holed up in a bedroom in Nottingham and listened to the album constantly. If I was a soppy romantic type I would say it was the soundtrack to us falling in love, but I'm not so ill go with it was great to shag to.
The music is simple. No fucking about, bang those drums, bend them strings and belt out the vocals. It didn't need unpacking or analysing or much attention at all really. It just worked
10/10

Genuine answer: yes.
Spent almost 50 years getting shit off rags.
I went to Manchester and clapped their team on the parade after they won European Cup in 99. And I like little Mainoo.
I can't think of one band I'd swerve because other people that like them are wankers.
As it happens, I was living in a tent in a field in southern France when I first heard Definitely Maybe. Couldn't have been further away from the swaggering Manc youth or 'lad culture' that later engulfed the band.
Me and the still Mrs stoner spent our first month back in Blighty holed up in a bedroom in Nottingham and listened to the album constantly. If I was a soppy romantic type I would say it was the soundtrack to us falling in love, but I'm not so ill go with it was great to shag to.
The music is simple. No fucking about, bang those drums, bend them strings and belt out the vocals. It didn't need unpacking or analysing or much attention at all really. It just worked
10/10
You've spoilt that girl

Oasis.
Debut album you say?
Ok.
Its a strange one.
7 out of 10
Gotta disagree on the test of time bit.
I think if you can forget about all the shit that surrounds the band and the brothers and the hands in the air karaoke hordes and, like georgie boy said, listen without prejudice, then at least half the album is still very listenable.
Was belting out Slide Away in the car this affy and it still works

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.