The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

It’s okay. It was like Green. Good but not what I reach for when I want to hear them. I liked Out of Time better (despite being a bit unusual — but Texarkana is one of my very favo(u)rites of theirs) but I liked it better than AFTP. Document was IMO their peak. Life’s Rich Pageant is probably my go to; that and the EP they started with. And Murmur.
Document a clear stand out in their interesting often frustrating career when it came to what was expected and what was produced after AFTP. Monster was more a change in presence than musicality although I rate it the best they produced outside those you mention but a long way short of their 80's work pre Green as you allude to.

Strange for a band that lasted so long that I hardly listen to much of their catalogue post 87 but clearly says more about me than them as I know a number of fans that love all their work and study it intensely always finding something new.

right...

Physical Graffiti.

By Led Zeppelin.

Kashmir. It's the best damn rock song in the history of damn rock songs but weirdly isn't my favourite on here. That distinction goes to the absolute pearl of a song called In My Time of Dying. It has always been my favourite Led Zep song due to the guitar/ drum back and forth with Plant just strolling along enjoying the ride.

As for the rest of the album? Trampled Underfoot, Custard Pie, Houses of the Holy all do it for me big time. And then...

An album of two halves...

After Kashmir, I mean what could follow that opus, it all slows down a bit. The Wanton Song tries to inject a sense of urgency to proceedings before the whole experience tails off with The Swan Song. I like the more mellow offerings but it feels like two albums to me...the rocky blues of the first half followed by the more mellow blues/ acoustic of the second.

It's been on all afternoon in my music room whilst I've been doing other stuff and to be honest I've loved it. It's been a while since I listened to it all the way through with only maybe side three getting a skip the third time around...Bron and Seaside don't really do it for me.

Score wise?

Hmm...if it didn't have Kashmir then it would be a solid 7.

It does...

So an even more solid 8.
Your favourite and mine give it a seven no matter what else is on the set bimbo (LOL).

Incredible riff and tempo, Kashmir great ,In my time of dying a slide blues conversion to rock greater and IMO more difficult to pull off.

When it was released in 1975? I was seventeen and had been a Zeppelin fan for four years. Zeps 1 - Houses of the Holy were seared into my brain from listening and I had already seen the band once live. In short, I was nuts about the group and at the time they vied with Yes and Genesis as my go to music.

Age has rounded out my musical tastes somewhat and I still believe that Zeppelin are the finest (hard) rock group ever formed albeit (hard) rock is by no means my favoured genre these days. So when Physical Graffiti was issued it was an immediate purchase. Like someone else on here, I first heard music from PG on the OGWT, where whispering Bob introduced Trampled Underfoot to a film of dancing Mickey Mouses circa 1930. What a killer track that is - music to party hard to.

Much was expected of PG. As a double album, this was Zeppelins Tommy or The White Album and certainly by sales it was very successful. It is half made up of new stuff and half made up of outtakes from previous albums that didn't make the cut. This is probably reflective of where the band were at in 1975, JPJ was reputed to be on the verge of quitting the band, Page was promoting Heroin over Cocaine as his go to drug and Bonzo's alcohol intake was reaching epic proportions. As a result, I have always found it a very patchy listen (that certainly didnt change when I ran it through again yesterday) and in all honesty my playlist of it would be restricted to just 4 or 5 tracks. But those tracks are as good as Zeppelin produced:

1. In my time of Dying
2. Trampled Underfoot
3. Kashmir
4. In the light

Some of the rest of it is good but certainly not as good as similar material in their first 5 albums. Because of that, I do prefer 1-4.

Zeppelin seem to have 4 different types of song:
1. Extended Blues cover (Dazed and Confused)
2. Rock God track (Black Dog)
3. I'm in a little cottage in Wales (Battle of Evermore)
4. Lets do something epic (Stairway to Heaven)

Ok there are a number of exceptions (Dyer maker, the reggae track on Houses spring to mind and Trampled underfoot doesn't fit neatly into those categories) but they are the exception and you can place most of Physical Graffiti into one of those categories and find better on other albums (other than the 4 tracks I mentioned).

So how to score this? So those 4 tracks are 9/10, the rest maybe 5/10 compared to their previous material. I also was looking forward to a less 'safe' choice to review, (like the first two picks). This album came high on most top 100 of all time lists so will certainly be well known to most of us.
I would prefer to hear stuff that I don't know as well as this although in deference to OB1, his eloquent review makes it clear the album means a great deal to him.

So in the round I will give it a 6.

How do you rate Monster Fog ?

I couldn't get much out of Out of Time and Automatic For the People and I assume of course that nobody will choose Monster on this thread.
Monster is one of my favourite REM albums probably because I saw them do it live and it was made to be taken into Arenas. We saw them at Murrayfield Stadium and they were bloody brilliant. Saw them at Stirling Castle a couple of years later and they were bloody abject.

Unlike a lot of posters on here, it seems that I came to music late in the day. If I’d been buying music in the mid-70s, I’m sure I would have bought this, played it to death and no doubt it would have been right up there with my favourite albums. However, although I listened to a lot of classic rock when I did get into music, and I’m familiar with a lot of Led Zeppelin’s more well known songs, this was a first-time listen for me.

I can see what everybody is saying about the first half of this double album because it easily contains the best material. “Trampled Under Foot” and “Kasmir” are both superb, the jazzy blues interlude on the former and the epic backing on the latter make them the standout tracks. The riffs on everything else make this a great listen.

I can take or leave Plant’s voice. It’s a bit too high for my liking (but strangely I don’t mind Geddy Lee’s voice), but it doesn’t stray into the annoying territory of other singers we’ve discussed on here recently. As a listener, I’ve never been one to focus on the drummer, so to my ears, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones are the standout players on this album. Page rips through some monster riffage here and Jones’ work, particularly on “Trampled Under Foot” is superb.

As Foggy has already mentioned, all bands, whether they are new or rock behemoths need a good editor, and this is what lets Zep down here. It happens to most bands who put out a double album – even Springsteen, who is an extraordinary self-editor – piled out a good number of mediocre tracks on The River. I think whoever decided to break into the fault for “Boogie with Stu” and “Black Country Woman” needs to take a long hard look at themselves. There are some really nice changes mid song here as well, on “Down by the Seaside” for example, but it was only on the second listen through that I realised that the change sounded so great because the song was average up to this point. “In the Light” could have done with a minute or so chopping off each end of the song but these are relative minor quibbles on what is a generally strong set of songs.

I enjoyed listening to this and I’ll give it 8/10.

How do you rate Monster Fog ?

I couldn't get much out of Out of Time and Automatic For the People and I assume of course that nobody will choose Monster on this thread.

I tried Monster again recently, but still cannot get into it. Their first three, Murmur, Reckoning and Fables Of The Reconstruction are the ones I always return to. Never tire of any of them. Document was their last I really loved.

I tried Monster again recently, but still cannot get into it. Their first three, Murmur, Reckoning and Fables Of The Reconstruction are the ones I always return to. Never tire of any of them. Document was their last I really loved.
It took me a while to get into REM, but I feel differently to most on here. Once they'd shrugged off their college-radio mediocrity, they became much better when they added mandolins an other interesting instruments into the mix. "Out of Time", "Automatic for the People" and "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" are my favourites.

I have a rather odd take on Led Zep — it’s kind of like a mirror compared to the rest of the world. I don’t care that much for their earliest stuff, up until IV, but I think “In Through The Out Door” is wildly underrated (as I do Robert Plant’s solo stuff). Thankfully, it kind of all meets in the middle 70s — where this ambitious record sits — along with the aforementioned IV and Houses of the Holy.

Now — I do think they’re uneven. Plant’s lyrics sometimes veer toward early Neil Peart. One of their three best songs is a cover (the 300-foot high tsunami that is “When The Levee Breaks”, to go along with the other 300-foot high tsunami that is “The Ocean”. The third is noted below). But I could winnow down their collective output by 40-50% and what would be left — the meat — could be near the best rock ‘n’ roll humans have deigned to imprint on wax. And as such, the irony — as @OB1 thoughtfully points out in his remark about Zep being so FM-friendly in the States — is that this WASN’T a singles band. Yet I think of them as a SONG band and not an ALBUM band. Weird, right? It isn't really to me, because there's so little thematic that ties the songs on their records together.

I think earlier comments on side 1 and 2 together being a 9 or 9.5 are valid for me too. Though I’m a little less enamo(u)red of “In My Time of Dying” , the other five are no-doubt-about-it classics that would represent the pinnacle of any band’s career. “Kashmir” is my favo(u)rite Zep song of all time and could be 20 minutes longer. The riff is so, so, so good. “Houses” and “Custard” and “Rover” are blockbusters, and just FYI — “Trampled” is a FUCKING GREAT DANCE SONG, you mugs :).

As much as guitarniks want to focus on Page — and I’ve got no issue with that — what makes Zep for me is Plant and Bonham. It’s hard for me to think of a rock singer I prefer to Plant. His voice is so unique. He strives for notes and sounds and just when you think he’ll break, he nails them. And no one has precisely the same thwomp on a snare or splash on a cymbal as Bonham. He pedals a bass drum like he’s (or it’s) in labo(u)r and he’s trying to get a baby bass drum to come out. It’s instantly recognizable. And that’s not to overlook JPJ whose keyboard noodling adds as much art and funk as his bass adds backbone. What a fucking band. Pound for pound, guy for guy, the best rock n’ rollers ever?

But their tunes didn’t always match their talent, and side 3 and 4 do falter (and I rarely play them). I get it. When you’re such masters you can just screw around and something good comes out, you just release it. But every top writer needs an editor. And too often I don’t think Zep had enough of one (which sometimes happens with total artistic freedom and your own label). This goes back to my comment that some of Zep’s output I could do without. Still, there’s plenty of good if not great stuff — “Night”, “Wanton”, “Sick”, “Light” and “10” all qualify — but in the company of record 1 they dilute the overall some. I might, however, argue that the variety such screwing around brings adds something ragged and unkempt that makes the whole thing a little more off-the-cuff, which is a positive.

It’s pretty easy to see why anyone would fall in love with this. For me, it’s a great reminder of what kings they were. It’s somewhere between an 8 and a 9 for me, but it's not quite consistent enough for a 9; we’ll go 8/10 and figure plenty of you lot will drag the average up. A great listen regardless.

I think it's safe to say I spotted that "Trampled" is a dance song :-)

I agree with you about "In Through The Outdoor"; it might contain Zep's worst song but it has some stunners. I like "In The Evening" almost as much as "Kashmir". "Fool in the Rain" and "All My Love" are playlist staples. "Carouselambra" hints at what might have been.

Some people, as repsonses show, aren't big fans of Plant's vocals but he is my favourite singer.

You nailed it with Bonham. His work is instantly recognizable.

When it was released in 1975? I was seventeen and had been a Zeppelin fan for four years. Zeps 1 - Houses of the Holy were seared into my brain from listening and I had already seen the band once live. In short, I was nuts about the group and at the time they vied with Yes and Genesis as my go to music.

Age has rounded out my musical tastes somewhat and I still believe that Zeppelin are the finest (hard) rock group ever formed albeit (hard) rock is by no means my favoured genre these days. So when Physical Graffiti was issued it was an immediate purchase. Like someone else on here, I first heard music from PG on the OGWT, where whispering Bob introduced Trampled Underfoot to a film of dancing Mickey Mouses circa 1930. What a killer track that is - music to party hard to.

Much was expected of PG. As a double album, this was Zeppelins Tommy or The White Album and certainly by sales it was very successful. It is half made up of new stuff and half made up of outtakes from previous albums that didn't make the cut. This is probably reflective of where the band were at in 1975, JPJ was reputed to be on the verge of quitting the band, Page was promoting Heroin over Cocaine as his go to drug and Bonzo's alcohol intake was reaching epic proportions. As a result, I have always found it a very patchy listen (that certainly didnt change when I ran it through again yesterday) and in all honesty my playlist of it would be restricted to just 4 or 5 tracks. But those tracks are as good as Zeppelin produced:

1. In my time of Dying
2. Trampled Underfoot
3. Kashmir
4. In the light

Some of the rest of it is good but certainly not as good as similar material in their first 5 albums. Because of that, I do prefer 1-4.

Zeppelin seem to have 4 different types of song:
1. Extended Blues cover (Dazed and Confused)
2. Rock God track (Black Dog)
3. I'm in a little cottage in Wales (Battle of Evermore)
4. Lets do something epic (Stairway to Heaven)

Ok there are a number of exceptions (Dyer maker, the reggae track on Houses spring to mind and Trampled underfoot doesn't fit neatly into those categories) but they are the exception and you can place most of Physical Graffiti into one of those categories and find better on other albums (other than the 4 tracks I mentioned).

So how to score this? So those 4 tracks are 9/10, the rest maybe 5/10 compared to their previous material. I also was looking forward to a less 'safe' choice to review, (like the first two picks). This album came high on most top 100 of all time lists so will certainly be well known to most of us.
I would prefer to hear stuff that I don't know as well as this although in deference to OB1, his eloquent review makes it clear the album means a great deal to him.

So in the round I will give it a 6.

You'll complain when I give you a Kiss album for homework.

I should have added that I consider Plant as one of the finest singer of his kind in rock as well as being an amazing front for the band. A fact that he has since underlined through his extensive solo work. Listen to him with Alison Kraus and there is no doubt he can hold a note.

Bonham is the most powerful drummer I have ever heard which is perfect for zeppelin. I’m not sure he would flourish in your average jazz combo though.

Page is brilliant in the studio and at writing brilliant guitar riffs. I like his live solos a great deal less though. I once met a taxi driver in Kensington who picked him up regularly. He said he was a very nice old gentleman, polite and his favourite topic of conversation was tea. Hmmmmm. So much for the devil worshipping Crowley disciple I guess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.