The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

The tracks in studio versions.
Far better.
A good pick though as I had never heard anything by them before and loving the songs so far but my score would have been a lot higher if this was a studio album.

Adam Granduciel's guitar sound is one of the best - very emotive somehow, as is his voice.

Unlike Rob, I love a live album, as to why?, why? Because it's an effing live version.

I have two recent TWOD studio albums but had missed this live release so will get it at some point.

Saw them live last year supporting The Rolling Stones at Hyde Park and enjoyed their performance. They aren't an exciting live act but it's good sitting in a field stuff.

"Red Eyes" is my personal favourite track.

8/10.
I know you love a live album, but surely even you can’t defend three minutes dead air at the start and two at the end? (OK not exactly dead air, but might as well be!)

The tracks in studio versions.
Far better.
A good pick though as I had never heard anything by them before and loving the songs so far but my score would have been a lot higher if this was a studio album.

My point of nominating the live album was i assumed most of you hadn’t heard much by TWOD so this was a good introduction.
Studio albums are usually superior to Live versions for obvious reasons, however the tracks on here from their albums before ‘Lost in The Dream’ are better in my opinion,but glad you like the band.

I know you love a live album, but surely even you can’t defend three minutes dead air at the start and two at the end? (OK not exactly dead air, but might as well be!)

Nothing to defend. Some bands do that with live versions. For all sorts of reasons. Sometimes they just want to disguise the song they are about to play or hint at it with an intro. Harder to surprise in the days of setlist.fm, unless you swap your set about alot. When I used to see Rainbow regualrly, Blackmore would often dick about before starting a song properly, playing a snatch of Purple being a favourite trick (Lazy being a fave) and it's part of the fun.

My point of nominating the live album was i assumed most of you hadn’t heard much by TWOD so this was a good introduction.
Studio albums are usually superior to Live versions for obvious reasons, however the tracks on here from their albums before ‘Lost in The Dream’ are better in my opinion,but glad you like the band.

And it is exactly how it has worked for me. And I love it.

I Have actually tried to get into TWOD before, the studio versions, and it never quite stuck. No idea why. Probably the 'curse of the comparison' most likely, which we are all guilty of. I guess just how music listening is more globally these days, I.e where we are instinctively driven to instantly draw comparisons to other bands, and find a place for an album on a shelf rather than listen to it on its own merit. Don't kid yourselves that you don't do it folks, pretty much every review does it at some point. Anyway, I think that's what has previously held me back, and the live album removes that. Now that I have listened to the live album and have a good feel for the songs, I find the studio versions quite easy to get into. Still prefer the live ones though.

Will follow on with more when I finish my 3rd listen.

I'm a big WoD fan, saw them in Leeds at the Arena last year and they were excellent. Couldn't make the Halifax gig which I was gutted about.

Sound is heavily influenced by the likes of Dylan and Springsteen, Don Henley and even has a bit of a Dire Straits IMO.

The last 3 Albums have been equally superb (Lost In The Dream, A Deeper Understanding & I Don't Live Here Anymore) whilst the preceeding Slave Ambient showed signs of things to come.

To get 'A Deeper Understanding' of how far this bands sound has matured, go and listen to 'Taking The Farm' then listen to something like 'Harmonia's Dream'.

Some of my recommended tracks.

Come to the City, Best Night, Black Water Falls - Slave Ambient
Red Eyes, Ocean Between The Waves, Under The Pressure, Burning, Disappearing - Lost In The Dream
Pain, Thinking Of A Place, Strangest Thing, Nothing To Find, In Chains, Holding On - A Deeper Understanding
I Don't Live Here Anymore, Wasted, Victim, Harmonia's Dream, I Don't Wanna Wait, Living Proof - I Don't Live Here Anymore

My first listen to War on Drugs.
Made my feelings known on the sound quality of the album but loved the songs on it and I thought the guitar work was superb.
Liked the studio versions better so I will definitely be investigating their albums in the future.
Great pick in the end.9/10

Is there a reason you do not contribute and put nominations forward?

Do you listen to most albums that get put up here, or just some you are intrigued by?
I always come on and see what's been put up for selection. I've had plenty of the records put up and may comment on what I think is good. Not that keen on moaning about others selections as they are normally personal to them. Doubt anyone on here has any stomach to listen to a full Cate Le Bon or DJ Shadow album to be honest!!!

I always come on and see what's been put up for selection. I've had plenty of the records put up and may comment on what I think is good. Not that keen on moaning about others selections as they are normally personal to them. Doubt anyone on here has any stomach to listen to a full Cate Le Bon or DJ Shadow album to be honest!!!
Ah so you nominated Cate Le Bon in the cup thread. It intrigued me and I’m likely to give her more of a listen. Where would you recommend I start? Better still tell @RobMCFC you want to nominate one on the album thread. You might be surprised although my nomination of the not totally dissimilar Aldous Harding got a bit monstered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.